Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Get help with Large Format Printers, with direct access to all Large Format Knowledge Center· Ask anything · Find anything · Share anything at HP LKC
HP Recommended
HP DesignJet T210 24-in Printer
macOS 11.0 Big Sur

When I try and print off a photo on letter sized paper there is a white boarder around the photo but at the bottom of the paper is a thicker white section.  Basically cutting off the bottom of the photo.  I've tried multiple apps (including HP Smart) and every setting possible.  This also happens when I print on 24" roll

IMG_4949.JPGIMG_4950.JPG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@mlewicki 

Apologies for jumping in unannounced.

Looks like this might be a printer hardware limitation.

Printer specifications

Margins

Top left and right margins

5 mm 0.2 in

Bottom margin

17 mm 0.67 in (manual sheet)

If that is the underlying cause of the irregular margins on the printed output,

There is no workaround for force a smaller margin on that one side.

If you have not tried it:

Set all margins to be no smaller than the larger margin required at bottom edge.

Added Comments

I have no idea whether your HP Smart for MacOS is similar enough to the Windows version of the app for the following to make sense...

Set the view option to "Crop" as opposed to "Shrink to Fit".

Crop will (should?) center the image on the paper.

Note:  Yes, Crop can remove the parts of the image that do not exactly match the shape of the paper.

This is the aspect ratio - the size and shape of the image as compared to the size and shape of the paper used to print the content.

Windows Example - FYI - Ignore if the reference is useless in context...

HP_Smart_W10_Print_Photo_A4_All_3HP_Smart_W10_Print_Photo_A4_All_3

HP Printer Home Page - References and Resources – Learn about your Printer  - Solve Problems

“Things that are your printer”

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

Categories:  Alerts, Access to the Print and Scan Doctor (Windows), Warranty Check, HP Drivers / Software / Firmware Updates, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, Lots of How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, Manuals > User Guides, Product Information (Specifications), more

Open

Thank you for participating in the HP Community.

Our Community is comprised of volunteers - people who own and use HP devices.

Dragon-Fur

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi @mlewicki 

This printer is designed for Graphics and lines is not a photo printer it adds margins to the drawings, it doesn't print borderless.

I am an HP employee
HP Recommended

Thanks Harry. I’m not going for borderless printing here. I expect the border but, as the pictures show, there’s a larger margin on the bottom of the page vs the other 3 edges. I’ve tried adjusting the margins in photoshop and centering print but the bottom still cuts the photograph off and included the border. Regardless of whether it’s a photo or a graphic, this doesn’t seem right. Even in the HP Smart app, when I fill to page, I can see there’s an equal margin around the document but it doesn’t print true to the preview. Is there a setting I’m missing?

HP Recommended

@mlewicki 

Apologies for jumping in unannounced.

Looks like this might be a printer hardware limitation.

Printer specifications

Margins

Top left and right margins

5 mm 0.2 in

Bottom margin

17 mm 0.67 in (manual sheet)

If that is the underlying cause of the irregular margins on the printed output,

There is no workaround for force a smaller margin on that one side.

If you have not tried it:

Set all margins to be no smaller than the larger margin required at bottom edge.

Added Comments

I have no idea whether your HP Smart for MacOS is similar enough to the Windows version of the app for the following to make sense...

Set the view option to "Crop" as opposed to "Shrink to Fit".

Crop will (should?) center the image on the paper.

Note:  Yes, Crop can remove the parts of the image that do not exactly match the shape of the paper.

This is the aspect ratio - the size and shape of the image as compared to the size and shape of the paper used to print the content.

Windows Example - FYI - Ignore if the reference is useless in context...

HP_Smart_W10_Print_Photo_A4_All_3HP_Smart_W10_Print_Photo_A4_All_3

HP Printer Home Page - References and Resources – Learn about your Printer  - Solve Problems

“Things that are your printer”

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

Categories:  Alerts, Access to the Print and Scan Doctor (Windows), Warranty Check, HP Drivers / Software / Firmware Updates, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, Lots of How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, Manuals > User Guides, Product Information (Specifications), more

Open

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Thank you Dragon-Fur.  Increasing all the margins to the largest one worked.  It's a bit too thick of a border to my liking but at least its something.  This seems like a simple fix via firmware update to make all the boarders the same size and smaller.

HP Recommended

@mlewicki 

You are welcome.

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.