Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Get help with Large Format Printers, with direct access to all Large Format Knowledge Center· Ask anything · Find anything · Share anything at HP LKC
HP Recommended
Designjet T770
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

In the driver download page for the the Designjet T770 the checksum of the "TT6-TTAJ_08_04_00.1_mvl40-x86-opt_B.signed.fmw" firmware is reported as "c4d17d8fe878bff5436812913f34471a" .

The checksum calculation using fciv.exe and WinMD5Free  reports  as follows:

c5c347059780d80918ff7b3dce09a33c tt6-ttaj_08_02_03.3.90_mvl40-x86-opt_b.fmw
600ef5ee87ae29907a3d1a7242594625 tt6-ttaj_08_04_00.1_mvl40-x86-opt_b.signed.fmw

The files was downloaded twice, using two different internet connections.

The firmware update using "...08_02_03..." is accepted.

The firmware update using "..08_04_00..." is rejected with "invalid file" error.

Does anyone have an idea what I'm doing wrong?

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Don't think you're doing anything wrong.  I've had the exact same problem with my T770.  I struggled with this for about 6 months now and haven't been able to get the file to load, always getting the invalid file error.  I posted the problem on another forum and a poster there got in contact with an associate that works for HP to discuss the problem but he hasn't heard back from the HP tech.  The tech requested screen shots of the front panel error message as well as screen shots of the panel message displaying the current firmware.  The last message I rec'd was that they (HP) were trying to find a T770 to test the firmware on and was having trouble locating one since they're out of support.

I've tried using three different computers, including a macbook pro, and also tried the USB method.  I've downloaded several different copies of the firmware on different internet connections.  Nothing has made a differences so I'm thinking the file is corrupt on HP's end and they would have to be the ones to fix it.  Not holding my breath on that.  The printers are 10 years old and doubtful they'll throw any time or manpower into this.  Can't say I blame them.  According to what I've read the problem is so minor it shouldn't effect using the printer at all.

Below is one of the replies I rec'd on the other forum:

"Thanks for the information, I'll pass it along.
The MD5 of the larger of the two files is: 600ef5ee87ae29907a3d1a7242594625 if you want to verify your own download. There's a hash tool you can get from the Microsoft Store to calculate MD5 hashes. I doubt your download is the problem though."

And the last message I rec'd about 3 weeks ago:

"Not yet, sorry.  Since these are out of support, they're trying to find someone with one who can test the firmware.

As soon as I hear something, I'll let you know."

To my knowledge re: the firmware update, I think all it fixes is the EWS ability to display dates past 2020 on the computer screen so I'm not too worried about installing the update.  (I've checked that and indeed the year date won't display past 2020.)  Unless someone has more information on what the update firmware fixes, I'm going with that and leaving the firmware where it is now.  I've since sold the T770 and explained all this to the buyer and he's okay with it.  I still have the T1200 and will wait to see what the HP guys say.  LIke I said, it doesn't appear to be a critical update.  I've had the exact same problem with my T1200, too.  They are practically identical machines.  They share the same Service Manual. 

Here's a link to the forum I posted the problem to:  https://www.copytechnet.com/forums/hp/160568-firmware-update-not-valid-file-error-message-designjet-...

I don't work for HP....I just repair their printers.
HP Recommended

The MD5 hash I calculated using Microsoft FCIV.EXE is different from the MD5 hash published BY HP for the same file. This is not only a firmware problem but also a security problem.   

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.