cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Get help with Large Format Printers, with direct access to all Latex Knowledge Center · Ask anything · Find anything · Share anything at HP LKC
meat1820
Level 4
109 100 8 16
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post

Designjet T770 for free

HP Recommended
Designjet T770
Microsoft Windows 8 (64-bit)

I might be able to get my hands on a Designjet T770 for FREE....

Is this an easy printer to maintain???  It works fine but it's out of warranty and company got something else new.

I have a 1050c and a 500-24, they seem pretty easy to maintain.

2 REPLIES 2
pbrooks259
Level 6
249 176 21 14
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Does seem to be easy to maintain. I clean the slider rail about every 6 months to a year and apply some oil to the slider rod and with the oil bottle with the applicator needle I apply oil to the carriage felts on either side of the carriage. You have to pull the right end cover off to get to the rear carriage bushing to put oil in its oil receptacle. Also add oil to the adjacent oil applicator which deposits oil onto the same bushing.

One problem I had was that the starwheel motor gear snapped off once. Supposedly due to the firmware at the time causing it to apply too much torque. Supposedly addressed in a subsequent FW update. So perhaps Be sure to have the latest FW update.

Also, I've come across 2 that have hung at 58% startup. Both had to have the main pca replaced. Well if you can find a good main pca you can just replace the main pca. Otherwise you have to obtain an ECM--both the main pca & Power supply.

Oh, and whenever you plug cables back up to the main pca, do not interchange the 2 larger cables (keep track of them. The blue end goes to the blue socket; the black end goes to the black socket). If you interchange them you will blow the roll paper rewinder motor. I did that once.

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
pbrooks259
Level 6
249 176 21 14
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

One last thing, a guy in this forum and on ebay, an unscrupulous guy in my opinion, sold me a bad main pca once--it caused a 21:13 error on the T770 which of course I thought I had to replace the service station. But nope I replaced the service station only to get 21:13 again. This bad board caused me about a month and a half of grief plus an unnecessary $400+ service station-trying to figure out what was wrong. I thought I had purchased a "new" board. The guy said it was new. It wasn't--some used board from China. Again It was caused by a bad main pca that he sold me. He would not refund me. He gave me $450 credit. I tried to use it earlier this year on a T770. He said he would send me a new formatter with a new hard drive--I had a T770 with no formatter. He sends a used formatter with a used hard drive. And if you know anything, you can't use a previously used hard drive on another T770. You get an error if you do. I told him all this and never got a response. So essentially I got a used formatter for $450. I think that's about twice what it should cost.

Finally to get beyond the 21:13 error I had to purchase a new electronics control module--main pca & PSU to get it to work.

So all this to say 21:13 doesn't necessarily mean a replacement service station. And beware unscrupulous sellers.

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation