cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Get help with Large Format Printers, with direct access to all Latex Knowledge Center · Ask anything · Find anything · Share anything at HP LKC
Larry_Oregon
5 4 0 0
Message 1 of 8
Flag Post

Designjet Z2100 error 21:13, error 21.1.10

HP Recommended

I recently acquired a Designjet z2100 in non-working condition.  I have most the subsystems working and passing the diagnostics tests.  There is one exception which is the Primer function of the Service Station.  The service station had been clogged up pretty badly so I cleaned it well and confirmed that the actuating motors operate and that the rotary pulse generators operate to detect motor rotation (I am an engineer and like to use an oscilloscope to dig into problems like this.)  I replaced the PrintMech PCA with no change in results.  

The service station passes diagnostic test but the Primer test fails with error 21.1:10.  This is puzzling as the motor turns well, it detects home position, but fails with the following details:

Code: ox1b010002

Priority: 2000

ID: 0x10101021a

Description: String_Power_Off

File: ical_initiatorTroya.cpp

Line: 277 

Class:  Writing system

Subclass: Service station

Error: failure

Define: DRACO_WRITING_SYSTEM_SSTATION_FAILURE

Description:  not found

I have several questions:

1)  I have the service manual but it only discusses likely parts to replace without describing the details of failures such as this.  Do you have access to any documents which discuss the error codes to a more detailed degree? 

2)  Is there a document which describes more fully the theory of operation of the subsystems of the printer, ideally including signals and timing?

3)  Given the symptoms I am seeing do you think it is likely the issue is with the actual service station mechanism?  It is such a simple mechanism It is hard to see how that would be the problem if the motors and encoders all check out.  I don't see any sensors to actually detect flow during priming or to measure movement distance unless it just counts rotary encoder pulses after a hard limit move.  

Any ideas?  Thank you,

Larry Smith

7 REPLIES 7
davidzuts
Level 13
7,130 7,062 558 1,025
Message 2 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Sorry to tell you but HP does not get down to sub-system particulars. They consider that most people just want to get their plotters back on line and they suggest the complete assembly replacment since this is what they stock. Most techs like the system since they do not want to have to tear assemblies apart to see if they can fix a section of a part. It is a waste of time and money to service people. HP will not provide you with any information and I doubt you will find anyone out there that has stripped the service station down and has figured out how everything works and what needs to be done if one part of it does not. The other problem is you will not be able to get sub system parts unless you buy and used service station and hope the part you need is not defective in the whole assembly you buy.

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
Larry_Oregon
Author
5 4 0 0
Message 3 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you for your reply.  Your answer makes total sense.  However, a cogent description of sub-assembly functions would help any technician to troubleshoot more quickly to the most likely failed assembly.  It is dismaying to see so many error codes come with a long sequence of parts to try.  In many cases a customer may end up buying three or four major subassemblies before the culprit is found.  That gets very spendy!  A bit of theory of operation and an explanation of the function of the test step which failed would go a long way to speed up and reduce the cost of repair. 

Of course, your next point will be that HP or the repair service would not like that since it would reduce repair revenue.  However, In the long run this measure would create more customer loyalty, just like any reliability improvements do.

I would like to stay hopeful since I have fondness for HP, having started my engineering career with HP in 1975.  It is a bit ironic that I am asking questions about an inkjet printer - I managed the "Splash" project in Colorado where we created the very first color inkjet printouts in 1978 the night before the division review the next day.  I still have the first printout of the 21 copies we printed before the yellow jet crapped out.  I believe this is the first color inkjet copy in existence...  Inkjet has come a long way since then! 

Regards,

Larry Smith

Larry_Oregon
Author
5 4 0 0
Message 4 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Let me reduce the scope of my question:  In the experience of technicians does this particular error trace most commonly to the Primer sub-assembly, the remainder of the Service Station assembly, the PrintMech PC Assembly, or elsewhere?

Thank you again,

Larry

davidzuts
Level 13
7,130 7,062 558 1,025
Message 5 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

As a technician I do not trace it down to any sub-assembly since my job is to get the machine working. In my experience service station errors always come back to a defective service station. I have never had to replace the print mech board for a service station error. The issue is always something obstructiong movement of the service station which can be corrected by removing the obstruction or some other part of the service station which then requires the replacement of the station. That has been my experience.

Larry_Oregon
Author
5 4 0 0
Message 6 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Your experience helps.  I will take a closer look at the Service Station Assembly and focus on anything that would obstruct the primer pump.  Since the diagnostic for the Service Station portion passes, I hope to find something in the Primer assembly to match the error code.  Do you know if the electronics monitor the current delivered to the motors?  I can see that a high current might be caused by some kind of obstruction or excessive friction.  Stay tuned...

davidzuts
Level 13
7,130 7,062 558 1,025
Message 7 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Sorry I do not go this deep. Obstructions will give the service station error and not the primer error which is probably related to the primer motor. This is now an old plotter so you should be able to get a used service station off of ebay at a decent cost.

Larry_Oregon
Author
5 4 0 0
Message 8 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

After replacing every board and examining every cable without improvement, I finally did what I should have tried first:  I got a new set of printheads and that did the trick.  It remains a puzzle why the failure codes and directions were so far off from the real problem???  The printouts look great...

Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation