cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Get help with Large Format Printers, with direct access to all Latex Knowledge Center · Ask anything · Find anything · Share anything at HP LKC
GordonD1
3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 7
Flag Post

Designjet Z3200 Photo Paper Feed

HP Recommended
Designjet Z3200 Photo
Microsoft Windows 8 (64-bit)

Printer is adding an extra nudge at random intervals during printing. This leaves a lighter horizontal band (moire pattern) across the print. Text shows ghosting at this point.

Problem has occured on 3 different matt papers. Each has a different profile assigned, one of which is a custom profile. 

I have tried Satin photo paper and the problem has not occurred with that.

Printheads have been cleaned / replaced. 

Calibrations have been run and not shown any problems.

6 REPLIES 6
jasonmiamifl
Level 7
880 810 37 84
Message 2 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I suspect you have printhead problem.. go to menu.... image quality.....   print a diagnostic print.....

you will get answer right there.....

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
GordonD1
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 3 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HPZ3200-matt-paper-1200x1200photo.jpg

See attached photo.

Initial problem was with printheads.

Printheads have been cleaned and then replaced where diagnostic prints indicated a problem. Magenta / yellow and Matt black / red both showed a fair bit of use and were replaced.

Firmware / software / drivers have been updated.

Diagnostic prints are not showing any problems with the printheads.

The photo above has a moire pattern which runs  through the print, you will see where ghosting is occuring with the text. 

Hence why I think it is a paper advance problem. Paper advance has been reset with the Firmware update. Since then I have reset this through the front panel and run Paper Advance Calibration.

The problem is persisting.

The moire band does not appear at regular intervals.

It has appeared in a calibration print (1 of many calibrations run) and was visible through all colours.

jasonmiamifl
Level 7
880 810 37 84
Message 4 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Diagnostic print must shown all 12 colors.. any blank indicate that color printhead is not working...

Replace that printhead, till all 12 color were printed properly.

After this step, perform printhead alignment....

Printer is very intellgent... but not enough to inform what printhead was bad...

GordonD1
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 5 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for trying but their is a limit to the amount of ways I can tell you that the printheads are ok and I've done all the diagnostic prints without it getting a bit repetitive.

jasonmiamifl
Level 7
880 810 37 84
Message 6 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

if you believe your printheads are good, why not print a diagnostic print & show me....

Even the diagnostic print ok... then must do printhead alignment..

m/y   mk/red  are 2 are most trouble some  & shortest life.myself always keep 2 sets

, just in case.

good luck to fix your problem...  color calibration few days ago

IMG_20180612_124821[1].jpg

Bob_Headrick
Level 16
Level 16
33,466 26,790 2,441 9,222
Message 7 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@GordonD1 wrote:

HPZ3200-matt-paper-1200x1200photo.jpg

[snip] 

The symptom you show is likely due to a buildup of ink on the encoder strip.  I would suggest gently cleaning the strip as shown in the document here.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation