Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Get help with Large Format Printers, with direct access to all Large Format Knowledge Center· Ask anything · Find anything · Share anything at HP LKC
HP Recommended
Designjet Z2100 Photo
macOS 10.15 Catalina

I have not used my Printer  for a while. When I tried a test print I got issues with 3 of the print heads. not the printer recognises the print heads when I seat them, however they all show up as needing replacement. How do I tell if this is just the print heads, or something wrong with the printer?

Thanks for any experience or ideas

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

I could be either but you will not know till you replace one, although based on the fact you state the printer sat for a while it suggests more likely a head problem. One thing to try  is to remove the head and stand it on a damp paper towel to see if any ink wicks out. Sometimes the heads clog and leaving them on damp towel overnight can soften the ink enough that they will recognize. Heads are relatively inexpensive for these models and are considered a consumable that does need to be replaced periodically. 

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply. As suggested I purchased one replacement print head. I’ve followed the instructions to swap this for the old one, leaving the other 3 in place. On startup the printer still shows that replacement is not done for all 4 print heads. Is there something else I need to do to successfully swap out this one? Or does this indicate an issue with the print head holder of connecting cable?

thanks again for the support - much appreciated

Andy

HP Recommended

Dear Sir

you have missed a part after replacing the 1st print head the plotter continues and give a error or message on the front panel

( replace   print head and after you open the front door you will see the defective print head is flashing on the front panel  , or need to replace ink or   error ) when you restart the plotter and it displays that the replacement is incomplete  then follow the instruction on the front panel by removing the last one you installed .

good day

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.