Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Get help with Large Format Printers, with direct access to all Large Format Knowledge Center· Ask anything · Find anything · Share anything at HP LKC
HP Recommended
Designjet 5500 60 inch
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

MY Designjet 5500 has a major issue and don’t know what the problem is yet.

When  printing image quality prints, the lt. cyan completely floods the print from start to finish, even off the paper.

Anybody familiar with this problem?

3779CD93-350F-4109-9ACD-643BDC8A3287.jpeg

21 REPLIES 21
HP Recommended

Looks like you need a new printhead.  Try that first.  

Just be careful when replacing the printhead.  There's a small 90° elbow that the ink runs through that carries the ink from the tubes running vertical to the printhead that is horizontal.  If you push too hard, this elbow can easily break.  This usually results in massive amounts of ink getting pumped all over the paper and the carriage.  

Your pictures sort of resemble this kind of breakage but can't tell for sure since the cyan ink seems to be confined to the width of the printhead rather than dribbling all over the paper under the carriage.  That's why I would try replacing the printhead first.

You can find them on ebay pretty inexpensive (compared to new).  Expired is okay.

Let us know how you come out.

I don't work for HP....I just repair their printers.
HP Recommended

I will try the printhead first. Will post the results.

Thanks D Hook

HP Recommended

Bought the light cyan printhead but found out it is the cyan instead. I used a piece of paper in the cover sensor so the machine will work with the cover open. These marks were under the cyan and magenta printheads when the carriage parked as it ran through a printhead alignment sequence. The weird thing is that the machine says all printheads are OK. It still does the cyan flooding so the next step is to replace that printhead. Will the magenta need replacing also? I am thinking so based on this image.

IMG_1331.JPG

HP Recommended

The issue is still there. Just replaced the cyan  and the lt cyan it’s flooding through the new printhead same as before

what is the next place to troubleshoot? The connections of the ink tubes? They seem good

any help appreciated

HP Recommended

Yes, I would check the tube connection under the where the printhead is inserted, at the front of the carriage.

I ended up taking the carriage out of the printer.  You might not have to do that if you can pry off the plastic covers that hide the tubes.  If the elbows are broken it will be pretty obvious.

If that's the case, you can order new elbows off ebay.  They look like this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/6x-Ink-Tubes-Supply-System-Nozzle-for-HP-DesignJet-4000-1050-4500-5000-5100...

Or you can buy a whole tube replacement system that's been rebuilt with new seals:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Q1251-60265-Rebuilt-Designjet-5500-5000-42-UV-Ink-Tube-System-w-100-CASH-BA...

LPS is the best I've found.  They'll refund $100 when you return your old ones.  They provide all shipping and instructions on replacing.  Also include a priming syringe.  Very important when you're replacing tubes.

HP Recommended

Thanks D. Hook

I will look at that next. Wouldn't there be flooding all over the printhead though? I see no ink leak or residue.

HP Recommended

Those elbows are below the printhead I think.  They're contained inside the grey tray that sits in front of the carriage and covers the tubing.  In some cases, I've seen that tray fill up and actually start leaking out the front of the carriage tube covers but that was a pretty extreme case.

It's an easy thing to check.  Usually, when one of the elbows gets broken, the ink gets pumped and fills the tray that the tubes ride in and trails  ink all over the paper because it's leaking from the tray.

It's really hard to say exactly what the problem is but if you've changed the printheads, the integrity of the tube system is the next place I would look if it was my printer.  I suppose it could be that there's something else that is just blowing mass quantities of ink out of the printeheads but not sure what would cause that.

Wear gloves.

HP Recommended

Will be checking those.

D.Hook Thanks agin  for your time.

HP Recommended
Here is what the carriage looks like where the ink comes through
0139312A-77DF-4C47-9478-DC1A44BE499E.jpeg
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.