cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Get help with Large Format Printers, with direct access to all Latex Knowledge Center · Ask anything · Find anything · Share anything at HP LKC
RobFincher
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post

FB750 Ink Fading in Sunlight After a Year

HP Recommended
HP Scitex FB750
Mac OS X 10.10 Yosemite

We printed some traffic signs on ACM for a customer a year ago. We were under the impression that the UV inks for the FB750 have a light fastness of about 3 years. The ink has already started to fade after 1 year. I never had this problem with other brands of UV printers, or at least no one ever said anything.

Should I contact HP support to discuss the difference in light fastness compared to the real world application? Is it possible I got a bad batch of ink when these signs were printed?

Could my substrate have anything to do with it? I believe these signs were printed on either Piedmont Plastic's house brand "AluPoly Economy ACM,"  "Max-Metal," or "Koma ALU." I frequently use these, depending on which vendor I can get in touch with when I order. Would it be better if I went with DiBond instead?

Do you have any suggestions for increasing the outdoor life of the ink?

My coworker and I have suggested laminating with a cast UV lam, printing to cast vinyl and then laminating and mounting, or coating with a liquid laminate. The client wants to order 500 signs, and of course, the salesperson wants to keep the price as close as possible to the per sign price we have done in the past.

2 REPLIES 2
Jesus_Loves_YOU
5 5 0 0
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

With more than 25 years in printing and large scale format printing, regardless what the manufacture states about being UV stable, they're NOT!  Back some years ago, we had no choice but to use a UV protecting laminate, so you have the right of the issues in stating the use of laminates, as for the client costs, everything goes up in price, more especially if they want the signs (in this case), to last a long time in direct sunlight.   Even the newer LED's are causing issues where sunlight is not contacting the reproduction..   Don't quote me on this last part, as I received the info second hand, but from what I heard, thought it's called a solar minimum, the UV spectrum of UV-A, B & C, has gotten higher in the amounts getting through Earth's atmosphere.   I haven't been sunburned in many years, and last year was terrible, three different times through out the summer I was burned, even wearing sunscreen!  

Anyway, from my experience, the UV inks are not all they're claimed to be, and a CS agent isn't in the practical application arena!   

Best of Luck with your client costs and the fading issues.

Kind Regards, Mike

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
StretchMusic
Level 6
Level 6
181 179 12 64
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello,

I understand you have an issue where a sign is fading after one year of contact with sunlight. I have done some research and can offer some suggestions:

1. Use “HP Permanent Gloss Adhesive Vinyl” media. Any other media used may have different performance.

2. It's important where the media is attached. If the media is metal the amount of heat accumulated can contribute to fading. 

3. It is important to specify the orientation. It will affect the amount of light and heat received from the sunlight.

4. Performance may vary as environmental conditions change.

5. HP recommends the lamination to ensure the color properties will be kept for a longer time.

If you need further assistance please contact HP phone support. 

https://support.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp

Regards,

StretchMusic

I am an HP Employee
Regards,
StretchMusic

If the answer provided resolves your issue please press the thumbs up button in order to make the answer available to others.
Was this reply helpful? Yes No
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation