cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Get help with Large Format Printers, with direct access to all Latex Knowledge Center · Ask anything · Find anything · Share anything at HP LKC
jim_pollock
3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 9
Flag Post

Failed firmware upgrade with Designjet 500

HP Recommended
Designjet 500
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My Designjet 500 will not initialize after a failed firmare installation attempt. This device will not turn off and its plotter control panel will not accept input.  There is not connectivity with the computers on my network (this part is all ethernet).

I have tried a posted workaround involving DOS input with the Command Prompt and a Parallel Port connection, but I have not been successful. I used a USB 2 cable instead of the Parallel cable since I had it in house.

• Does anyone know if there would be a difference in my result between using the USB 2 connection and a Parallel Port connection?
  • Would the port that I connected to on the computer make any difference? (I have a choice of Parallel or USB, and have only tried USB)
  • The workaround says to copy firmware file (.fmw) updates to the root directory in the C drive (C:\), which I did, but the DOS Command Prompt input has me attempting to copy the .fmw files onto themselves – which is rejected.
8 REPLIES 8
davidzuts
Level 13
7,130 7,062 558 1,025
Message 2 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

To be honest I have only had success using the parallel method when I used an old xp laptop that had a parallel port so I could connect the printer with a parallel cable. This has worked for me many times but have no success using other methods when the firmware is corrupt. If you do the upgrade, be patient as the display will indicate the firmware received but it takes a long time to process before the icon comes on to remove the power cable or the plotter turns itself off. It can take as long as 15 minutes even though the computer will show the smiley face like it is finished.

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
Jorge70
Level 4
101 101 6 13
Message 3 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Hello.
Wait a moment.
This plotter display some error?.

jim_pollock2
2 2 0 0
Message 4 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Sorry for this delay, I did not get notice of your post until today.  There is a display error: a line drawing of the plotter with a large X thru the display module. This X flashes at a constant rate. Also the on/off button light flashes at the same constant rate.

jim_pollock2
2 2 0 0
Message 5 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I'm sure I can get my hands on an XP OS and will start looking around. So was your approach to simply send the firmware to the plotter thru the XP laptop and parallel port, or did you use DOS commands and move the update from the root folder on the C drive? If so, what is the DOS command?

davidzuts
Level 13
7,130 7,062 558 1,025
Message 6 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Here is way I do it. In fact I have it setup on my old notebook this way. On the xp machine I add the printer using the add printer and choose lpt1 as the port and when I get to the makers page I choose hp on the left and any designjet on the right and finish up. I then download the firmware update utiltiy from hp and run the program. It will come up with a box for you to choose the printer you want to upgrade. Just scroll to the printer you just loaded and click on it and then click on the upgrade button and the utility will start sending the upgrade to the printer. You should see the progrress on the notebook which really does not mean anything but on the control panel you should see it upgrading and there should be a message about not powering off or unplugging until told to do so. You know when to unplug as a power cord symbol should come up when it is time. Sometimes you have to do it more than once. Also if you have a hp gl2 card installed, remove it before doing the upgrade as sometimes the card is destroyed when a firmware upgrade takes place.

jim_pollock
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 7 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for your help. Here's what happened:

I set up Microsoft Virtual PC and installed Windows XP on a machine that is running Windows 7. Ran a parallel cable from the PC to the plotter, followed your instructions and the Firmware Update Utility found the plotter and confirmed that the update was successful. Subsequently, the line drawing of the plotter on the plotter control panel no longer has the X thru it, and the on-off button light is no longer blinking  and is constant ON.

EUREKA!!!, boy--I was psyched.

But nothing else happenned. After an hour, I resent the update ("successfully" per the Firmware Installer). After the second hour I resent it again -"successfully" - no response - the plotter control panel shows a line drawing of the plotter (without the X). The panel buttons do not accept any input. 

After the third hour I tried sending the firmware file (DJ500_A0304.fmw) directly from the root C drive to the LPT1 port with a DOS copy command. The command prompt on the computer confirmed that it was successfully copied - but again there was no new response by the plotter.

I did not try unplugging or the on/off button, the plotter is still on 24 hrs later in this comatose state. Any insights?

davidzuts
Level 13
7,130 7,062 558 1,025
Message 8 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

After the firmware update is sent and you have waited long enough you need to power off the printer from the rear and turn it back on. If you get the picture of the printer in the control panel again, then something is probably wrong with the emod since the printer should start loading and initializing and eventually come to some messages on the screen if an issue or just the ready screen. Below is a link for a upgrade but it shows what the screen should be doing during your loading and when to remove power and restart.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3IwVGjXZeTI

How to upgrade the firmware on a DesignJet 500 plotter.For Sales, Service, Repairs, Rentals, Spare parts & more visit:http://www.hpplotter.co.uk
jim_pollock
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 9 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I ordered and installed a new power module ($128 from LPS Computer in LA) and it is back running like a champ.

You will need  some star screw drivers (#10 and #20). Also, I would recommend to anyone else who has this problem that they seek advice from LPS as to how to unplug and re-connect the electrical connections. Most specifically the tape-type electrical strips are EXTREMELY DELICATE to reinstall.

Feel free to contact me if you need to. 

Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation