Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Get help with Large Format Printers, with direct access to all Large Format Knowledge Center· Ask anything · Find anything · Share anything at HP LKC
HP Recommended
DesignJet 800

HP seems to have many variants of glossy photo paper for my plotter so I could use some suggestions.

There are some noted as quick dry and others not. There are various thicknesses seen from 7.4 mil through 10.3, perhaps more but those are what I saw on one site,

Our use is to make personal hobby photos to be used both for guide use for making artwork and also just for having photos in hand.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Designjet 800 is a plotter for technical drawings on plain paper.

https://www.upc.edu/sct/ca/documents_equipament/d_60_id-445.pdf 

You can use it on a photo paper but you can only get best result with trials and errors.

My profile on LinkedIn

HP Recommended

The request was for suggestions on which photo paper to use, not for the product brochure.

They cost over $100 per roll so you suggest working through all the various products?

That's not helpful.

HP Recommended

In that brochure is a list of specified supported paper types, and there is no glossy paper because DJ800 is not intended to print on photo paper.

There is no correct answer, it's like you have a 20yo Toyota Prius and asking what are the best tires for offroad.

My profile on LinkedIn

HP Recommended

😅

Don't care who you are....that was funny!

I think what was meant was that you buy some HP photo glossy and experiment with the settings on the printer to get the best image you can.  You might be wise to buy some sheet photo paper first and experiment that way before buying a roll.  It's available on Ebay in small packs.  Print on Best and on the highest resolution the driver will allow.  I never had a good result with my 800 I had because of banding when you look close at the image.  It was good for 6 feet away though.

What exactly are you trying to do?  These printers are not good for doing quality photo images, even though they list glossy paper on the paper selection.  You might want to look at a Z series printer.  Some of the bigger ones are very cheap to buy but take 8 colors and 16 printheads, two per color.  Or you could consider a T1200.  It's also a technical printer but the one i have has turned out some beautiful photo prints with only 6 inks and 3 printheads (two colors per printhead).  Have also had good luck with the T770.

Bottom line is that if you're looking for a cheap way to print quality photo images, there aren't any shortcuts.

EDIT:  Reread your post and I see your not looking to do great photo quality prints.  So just use a general glossy photo paper and you should be fine.  Limitations will be the banding you'll see but for what you're doing I doubt the banding will bother you.

I don't work for HP....I just repair their printers.
HP Recommended

Vasimont, you are mistaken.

On the machine's display settings "high gloss photo" paper is on the list.

And there is an HP document for the DJ 500/800 listing various Hi-Gloss Photo papers specifically for the model.

That is what is driving the question. There are several photo papers listed; too many to weed through.

We have done good photos without banding or other issues on our DJ800 but are now looking for replacement paper.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.