Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Get help with Large Format Printers, with direct access to all Large Format Knowledge Center· Ask anything · Find anything · Share anything at HP LKC
HP Recommended
HP 450C
Microsoft Windows XP

Printer was printing fine until the above error showed up. Pressing the cancel button turned off the data light and the cartridge light began to blink and the lights at Media type, source and quality came on while the ready light goes off.

I can't find this situation in the service manual. To summarize, the printer takes an extra long time to "boot up" and a lot of paper (roll) is fed out during this process. I've tried removing the cartridges (all brand new but not authentic HP) which have been installed without change. Does anyone here know anything about this fossil of a plotter and how to repair it? I'm in Toronto, Canada so I can't very well send it out to Britain for example.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

First things I would check are to make sure that the carriage moves smoothly and that the encoder strip is not damaged. Then check the service station to make sure that it is moving. If you have a service manual you will find information on how to disassemble to the point you can confirm these things. Your desctription of the lights is a little confusing, can you post a picture? With that many lights might be a serious terminal error.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

Carraige operating. No cable damage. Photos attached. Thanks for your input.PICT0153 copy.jpgPICT0154 copy.jpg

HP Recommended

I posted a coouple of pictures as requested but without a response. Anyone else have any suggestions about how to diagnose this issue?

HP Recommended

Hi Kimmer7

HP Designjet 450c, 455ca and 488ca Series Printers - Flashing Cartridge Light

http://www.computercarefiles.com/TWI_Docs/bpp90072/default.html

I am an HP employee.
HP Recommended

The description of the issue ststes two lights are steady. Both the Data and Cartridge lights are on as shown in the photo. The lights blink until the "Cancel" button is pushed which is when they become steady. I now have been told the red sensor needs to be replaced and that the encoder strip needs to be replaced. I would like to know if anyone has had this issue (lights) and what they did to resolve it.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.