cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Get help with Large Format Printers, with direct access to all Latex Knowledge Center · Ask anything · Find anything · Share anything at HP LKC
netrate
Level 1
9 4 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post

HP 500 design jet - will not calibrate inkheads, cancels before finishing...

HP Recommended
HP 500 Design Jet plotter
Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)

We have an HP 500 that has been sitting for quite a few years.  We just changed the belt and now it runs.  BUT it will not calibrate the print heads on the Standard and/or Special and it WILL NOT finish calibrating.  It says "Calibration cancelled".  It takes the sheet in properly, but will not finish.  We need new cartridges for sure, BUT we do not want to spend the money on cartridges only to find out it doesn't work.  

What are next steps to test this out?

We DO NOT have a roll, but rather 24 x 18 sheets instead.

2 REPLIES 2
D Hook
Level 7
877 824 37 101
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You'll probably have to replace the cartridges before going any further.  Cartridges for these machines are dirt cheap compared to other models.  Ebay has a full set of remanned carts for about $25 shipped.  I've used these before and they work great.

HP 82:  https://www.ebay.com/itm/Compatible-HP-82-Magenta-Cyan-Yellow-Color-Set-Ink-Cartridge/182064796733?h...

HP10:https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Genuine-HP-10-Black-Ink-Cartridge-C4844A-Unopened-Item-69ml/19236880462...

You might also have to replace printheads if it's been sitting for that long.  Those are also inexpensive on ebay.

I don't know if I'd trust remanufactured printheads.  Never tried them so can't say for sure.

If you want it to work, you'll have to make some investment to do so.  Don't be surprised if the ink has dried up in the tubes also.  But you'll never know until you change out the printheads and ink cartridges.

Any inkjet printer doesn't tolerate sitting for "years" and still work correctly.

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
D Hook
Level 7
877 824 37 101
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

If it was my machine, I'd replace the ink cartridges first and try printing something like a test page.  If the tubes are clogged, at least you won't be trying to push ink through them and mess up the new printheads with dried ink particles.

Also, you could remove the print heads and carefully soak the bottoms in some warm water (about the temperature of coffee) for a few minutes, then dab them on a coffee filter and see if you get two lines of ink.  Then put them back in and try a test print again.  If you don't get the two lines then you'll need to replace them.  Just be very gentle with the printhead bottoms and avoid wiping them so you don't damage them in the process of cleaning.  Sometimes you can revive them this way, sometimes not.

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation