cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Get help with Large Format Printers, with direct access to all Latex Knowledge Center · Ask anything · Find anything · Share anything at HP LKC
JonMal
3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post

HP 5500 Designjet

HP Recommended
HP Designjet 5500ps

Each time we try to print a job it gets hung up and stops in the middle or just at the end of the printing job.  We use Photoshop and Adobe to print it and it happens on both.  We have plenty of memory in the computers and have been printing to this machine for over five years.  It started happening last year intermintinly and how gets hung up each time.

5 REPLIES 5
D Hook
Level 7
877 824 37 101
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Has anything changed in your equipment setup?  New computer, new windows version?

When it stops, does it show an error on the screen?

What does it do when it stops?  Cut the paper? 

Have you tried printing a demo from the front menu panel of the printer?

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
JonMal
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Nothing has changed with the equipment set up.  We've just changed the tubing system but the hang up's were happening before that.  When it stops, no error message appear and it does not cut the paper.  Yes, we've tried printing a demo and it works fine.  It seems when we print large jobs (not in file size but 40" x 60" and larger) it stops.  Sometimes when we hit cancel it doesn't cancel and we have to turn the printer off completely.  Could it be a Windows 10 situation?  Has HP updated the drivers?  ff so, should we download the drivers again?

D Hook
Level 7
877 824 37 101
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

When it just stops, what does the display screen say?  Does it go back to READY state or does it say PROCESSING?

I've had the problem of the machine freezing when trying to cancel and have had to reboot to get it to come back to READY state.  I don't think that has any correlation to the problem you're having during printing.  For me, it usually happens when I send a print to the machine and then try to cancel on the front panel before it starts printing.

When the printer stops midway, do you hit cancel?  Is that when it's freezing up?

What firmware version do you have?  It should tell you on the screen when you're booting up the printer.  Or on the UTILITIES page maybe.

If you've printed the demo and it works okay, then you can rule out the hardware I think.  Well, most of it anyway.  Sounds more like a software issue.  Are you using a different version of Adobe?

You might try reseating the memory modules in the back.  With power off of course.

JonMal
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

When it freezes, all it says is "printing"

Firmware say loading firmware.fmw

Code Rev: 5:05.01

Bootrom: B5p.05.01

ram present: 256 mb

Hard disk 38186 mb

PS code rev: 9.03.4SR

It freezes in the middle of the print job and not when hit cancel.  We're using Adobe and Photoshop which is about five years old.  

I'll try reseating the memory modules.  

Do you think the driver for the machine on HP has up to date firmware in it?  Should we try loading the driver again from the HP site?

D Hook
Level 7
877 824 37 101
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Wouldn't hurt to download and load the driver from HP website.

Firmware is a little harder to find.  Google it but be prepared to find a lot of websites that SAY they have it but you're actually downloading some kind of app for installing the firmware.  It will be a UPG file that you need.

Let me know if you can't find it.  I believe the newest firware is 5.56.05 for the PS model.

Before you do that, you might try going to the printer properties page and tell the printer to use the computer memory instead of the printer memory.  That should eliminate printer memory as a problem.

Have you tried sending as a bitmap?

Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation