cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Get help with Large Format Printers, with direct access to all Latex Knowledge Center · Ask anything · Find anything · Share anything at HP LKC
pbrooks259
Level 6
249 176 21 14
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

HP DJ 5500 - 2 colors stopped printing simultaneously on print job

HP Recommended
HP Designjet 5500
Has anyone ever had a 5500 stop printing simultaneously 2 or more colors? and if so what was the exact problem? I have never experienced this one--stopped printing 2 or more colors on a print job. I suppose the o rings in a couple tubes could be failing or failed simultaneously....

Well, I have sucked air out of ink tubes assemblies on one or two others just to see the air immediately flow back in. The o-rings were that badly worn or deteriorated. Again I am thinking from afar that this, air in tubes and therefore in printheads, most likely is the problem, but not sure.

This is all the info. I am getting from the customer who is about 150 miles away. I want to go prepared.

Sounds like air in the tubes or a bad carriage to me or possibly a bad trailing cable. Not sure at this point obviously.

Thanks.
3 REPLIES 3
Valsimot
Level 12
Level 12
6,318 6,301 751 1,057
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

It could be due to bad pressure ( air) in ink tubes. When I need to suck out air from DJ5500 I remove inky supply station from the back side of the printer and put them with ink cartridges inside on printer so they are in a higher position that printhead.

That will stop getting air immediately flow back in and higher position of ink cartridges makes ink flow much better when priming with the syringe.

My profile on LinkedIn

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
pbrooks259
Author
Level 6
249 176 21 14
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Good idea elevating ink cartridges. Thanks.

I have ordered  a refurbed ink tubes assemply from LPS Computer in preparation. I just highly suspect that is the culprit, and have to go prepared to remedy the problem especially since 150 miles away.

I don't think they necessarily failed simultaneously could have almost done that, but I think air simply junked each one out during the same print job. All printheads and ink show OK in front panel.

Thanks.

pbrooks259
Author
Level 6
249 176 21 14
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I assume both heads failed in close timing to each other due to simply exhausted life and/or air infiltration into the heads. I replaced both heads and the ink tubes assembly. So far it seems to print ok.

Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation