cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Get help with Large Format Printers, with direct access to all Latex Knowledge Center · Ask anything · Find anything · Share anything at HP LKC
3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post

HP DesignJet 13000 Crashed After Firmware Update

HP Recommended
HP DesignJet 1300 CR5651A

Manufactered July 2011, has been a great plotter until the firmware updated in early 2017 and then crashed. It has a firmware and service station error. It needs new formatter plus hard drive and potentially a new motor.

However, the 3rd party service tech discovered that the new formatter also has updated firmware which apparently is incompatible with the old parts. Anyone have similar experience and solution?

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5
davidzuts
Level 13
7,130 7,062 558 1,025
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The problem I have is your model numbers are wrong. I assume the plotter is the T1300 but the model number you give is not valid. The firmware for this plotter has two versions. One is a small upgrade only used in the plotter had a certain previous version. The other is the full blown version which if you now have issue maybe you should use. My problem is most users do not tell us the full story. Most users do not update firmware unless they are having an issue. Is that what you did and what was the issue. Have any parts been replaced before or after the firmware issue. The last is the most important since using used parts in a designjet can have very bad outcomes since many times model and other information is contained on chips in those parts and then confuses the machine when they do not match the other parts information in the plotter. Only new unused parts should be used.

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You are correct the previous model number was incorrect. The correct information is a DesignJet T1300, Product no CR652A, model number CR651-64001, Manufactered July 4, 2011.

The full story is that we were prompted to update the firmware on the printer's screen in early 2017. Shortly after we began to get 8:04 and 8:11 errors. This machine has never needed any service or parts. Eventually it would no longer allow us to print and only displayed error messages. Before our service tech tried to order a formatter and hard drive, he had the parts distributor install the parts with the most recent firmware on an older T1300. They reported that it also gave them errors. Now correlation doesn't indicate causation, but that's one hell of a coincidence. I believe our next step is try the install and if it doesn't work then we will just have to eat the restocking fee.

Any advice or insights would be appreciated.

Thanks

davidzuts
Level 13
7,130 7,062 558 1,025
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Lets start by saying there are 2 models of your plotter. The A version and the B version. You have the A version and I am a bit confused about what was done by the parts distibutor. Did you change parts on your machine or did you have some parts sent to the distributor that he did something to them? That said your plotter requires a separate formatter and a separate hard disk. The B version has a part that includes both. Your hard disk part number is CR650-67001 and your formatter part number is CR651-67005. These are the part numbers from the service manual and it is possible some of the numbers may have changed since the manual was published. Since the plotter worked before the update and if I am not mistaken the firmware is contained on the hard disk that is the first part I would consider for replacement. The errors you got after the update refer to communication issues between the touch control panel and the printer. Check with your tech if I am right about the location of the firmware and if I am, the hard disk would be the first item to try.

Author
3 2 0 0
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you for the reply. To clarify, no parts have been (or ever been) on our machine. We were all set to have the formatter and hard drive replaced, when the service tech said that he had the parts dist. test the formatter and hard drive in a T1300 machine at their facility and they too received similar errors. It was then believed that new firmware version was causing these issues. However, after additional discussion with HP Support, it is also possible that they were using a part that was incompatible with their machine and thus the error.

We will try a new hard drive and formatter if necessary and report the results. One last follow up, when I remove the formatter, the hard drive is plugged straight onto the board. Would you recommend we first swap the hard drive on the formatter before installing both new parts? I believe HP Support had a reason for not replacing both at the same time, but alternating the install so that back up information on the old parts could be retained. But I didn't completely understand that part of the converstation. 

Thanks

davidzuts
Level 13
7,130 7,062 558 1,025
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I would suggest swapping the formatter first using your existing hard disk. If not I would then use the new hard disk on the new formatter and if both fail, then use the new hard disk on the old formatter. Your plotter has an interconnect pca board on the right side rear that contains backup information that usually writes to the main pca on the left side. I think but do not hold me to this that the hard disk and formatter should be able to be swapped without causing any issues.

Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation