Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Get help with Large Format Printers, with direct access to all Large Format Knowledge Center· Ask anything · Find anything · Share anything at HP LKC
HP Recommended
HP DesignJet Z6800
Microsoft Windows Server 2012

Inside the Windows Printer I am looking for an option for "Save Roll Paper" which will end the printing of the job when the inked area ends, instead of forwarding the paper the full length of the paper size which is indicated on the Windows Printer. My size inside the Windows Printer is custom 60" x 110" in order to accomodate all sizes of jobs which I will be sending.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Are you running the HP Designjet UPD driver or a custom driver. Also have you installed the Designjet print utilities. Just setting your printer to 110" does not seem to be the most efficient method of dealing with varying paper sizes. With proper drivers a Designjet like this should be able to print to size everytime.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

I downloaded the HP DesignJet Z-Series Full Feature Installer from the HP website. That is where my windows printer came from. My proofer came without an internal RIP so I am using a third party RIP (Esko Automation Engine) to send files to it. I used this same exact RIP to drive my previous proofer, which was an HP DesignJet 5500, with the same custom 60" x 110" page size and it worked flawlessly and would end the printing once the inked area was done no matter what size the job was. I have compared every tab from the old 5500 Windows Printer to this new 6800 WIndows printer and while the options are slightly different, I have both set up similarly from what I can tell.

The driver I installed does say that it included the latest HP DesignJet Utility, version 5.3.1.4429.  How do I access that feature?

Thank you for your response!

HP Recommended

I think here is your solution:

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04275455

on page 99

In part Headed as:

Use paper economically

says: "  On the Embedded Web Server's Submit Job page: select Advanced settings > Roll options > Remove top/bottom blank areas and/or Rotate.  "

If this does not work, ask RIP provider or support for RIP about solution for this issue.

NOTE: External RIPs are driving mechanic on printer at a very low level. They use printer driver's queue for speaking with printer by excluding use of driver in creating print.

HP Recommended

That would be a solution if I were using the Embedded Web Server to submit jobs, but I am using an external RIP.

I am going to reach out to my RIP support to see if they can help. Thanks.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.