Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Get help with Large Format Printers, with direct access to all Large Format Knowledge Center· Ask anything · Find anything · Share anything at HP LKC
HP Recommended

I came in this morning and started proofing.  But every proof that I try to print, I get the false paper jam.  I turn it off and back on, and it prints one.  Then when it starts the next one, it does the same thing.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

It would be helpful to mention whatever code the machine may be displaying when the jam indication appears.  If it is an 86:01 code it could be that your carriage rod, the stainless steel rod the carriage slides over is contaminated and needs to be cleaned and then lubricated with some light machine oil.  The other thing that causes that code is if the thin encoder strip that also goes through the carriage the entire length of the plotter may be dirty or missing some of its timing marks, as that is how the carriage knows where it is at in the scan process.  Those two things are quite common, as is the belt that drives the carriage starting to fall apart and not drive the carriage properly, but that one should be noticable.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

It would be helpful to mention whatever code the machine may be displaying when the jam indication appears.  If it is an 86:01 code it could be that your carriage rod, the stainless steel rod the carriage slides over is contaminated and needs to be cleaned and then lubricated with some light machine oil.  The other thing that causes that code is if the thin encoder strip that also goes through the carriage the entire length of the plotter may be dirty or missing some of its timing marks, as that is how the carriage knows where it is at in the scan process.  Those two things are quite common, as is the belt that drives the carriage starting to fall apart and not drive the carriage properly, but that one should be noticable.

HP Recommended

Just cleaned the chrome rod for the carraige of 2 year old Officejet 7610 that had been doing the "Phantum Paper Jam" message, but don't recall an Error code.  Tested the printer once and it worked OK.  Black smear was cleaned of with a soft cleaneing cloth, no solvent..

I was about to submit the following about our Officejet 7610, when I came across your helpful answer, Thanks for that.

[Personal information removed]

timwj1 wrote:

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.