cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Get help with Large Format Printers, with direct access to all Latex Knowledge Center · Ask anything · Find anything · Share anything at HP LKC
mapbrix
Level 2
11 6 2 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post

HP Designjet T830 (24") Spare Spindle Holder

HP Recommended
HP DesignJet T830 Multifunction Printer series
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hi,

I recently bought a spare spindle for a my HP Designjet T830 24" model.   Very handy, but not the easiest item  with paper loaded to store in a home/office space.   Here's my solution, but Mk 1 needs an improved design.

I fashioned two hangers from builders strapping steel and used the underside chassis connection to support.   In this first attempt I overlooked the space required to replace the large HP blue knobs, so Mk 2 will be better!

There are two photos showing right-hand side connection to frame and left-hand side showing there is ample clearance for the roll  when the paper cage is pushed to.

A couple of considerations for the engineers who might wish to modify:  The frame bolts are about 71cm apart, which is a little wide (65cm would be ideal).   I used steel about 2cm wide, but 3cm would be better.   Also, perhaps rubber sleeving on the steel would be good.   I used 16cm lengths of steel.

Perhaps of some help to others?Spindle_Support_Left.jpgSpindle_Support_Right.jpg

1 REPLY 1
mapbrix
Author
Level 2
11 6 2 0
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have now re-fashioned the spare spindle holder from two 20cm x 2cm x 3mm pieces of steel, using the following:

1. Hacksaw to size the steel

2. Grinder + Wire brush to smooth/clean and de-burr the ends

3. Vice to put a 90 angle and wrench/vice for the 90 degree twist in the bracket- see picture

4. Strong plastic waste pipe to create the curve (to support the spindle ends) c.40mm

4. Drill/5mm bit for mounting hole.

5. The pale blue HP branded knob has a short thread, so I removed about 5mm from the plastic shank to expose more thread.   I also added a thin steel washer.

6. Paint - only for aesthetics.

Cost about £2 / $3 - time about 20/30 mins per bracket.

The bare spindle weighs about 0.8kg, the paper (200gms glossy) about 4kg, so overall only about 2.4kg load per bracket/bolt.

Voila, job done.  Nice tidy holder for the spare spindle.

PS. The first posting suggested the steel was 20mm - it was in fact 28mm and much harder to work with.  MkII is better and easier with the lighter steel.

Spindle_Holder_MkII.JPG

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation