cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Get help with Large Format Printers, with direct access to all Latex Knowledge Center · Ask anything · Find anything · Share anything at HP LKC
cam57
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 7
Flag Post

HP Designjet Z5200

HP Recommended
HP Designjet Z5200
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Our poster printer, HP Designjet Z5200, will not pull in yellow ink even though we tried two new yellow cartridges. 

6 REPLIES 6
SHThompson
Level 12
3,729 3,657 305 673
Message 2 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended
And error message would be helpful but if you're having a problem and it says there's no ink in the cartridge then the ink supply station is probably defective.

When you remove the ink cartridge and look where it sits you shall see an oval pad sticking up compare that pad to the one under a working cartridge you should feel some spring to it when you push on it.

If the pad under the cartridge s that's giving the problem doesn't have spring then the ink supply station should be replaced.

If my post resolves your issue please click the accepted as solution button under it.

To thank a Tech for a post click the thumbs up button under the post.

You can even click both buttons. . .
Was this reply helpful? Yes No
davidzuts
Level 13
7,130 7,062 558 1,025
Message 3 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

There are 3 major items that control the printing of a color on your plotter. The first is the ink cartridge which you changed. The second is the printhead which is in the carriage assembly and the third is the tube assembly which carries the ink from the cartridges to the printheads. The first thing you need to do is replace the printhead as 90 percent of the time it is the cause of a missing color. That is the first thing I would change. If you have previously replaced the printhead and the plotter worked for a short time and the yellow was gone again that would indicate you have air in the yellow tube of the tube assembly. If that is the case report back for further instructions. The way your post is worded I get the impression you only tried new ink cartridges.

cam57
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 4 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks!  I'm having difficulty finding what printhead to order?  Thoughts?  Also, where is the printhead located?

davidzuts
Level 13
7,130 7,062 558 1,025
Message 5 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

They are in the carraige assembly. You should have a menu item under the ink menu to replace printheads. Choose that item and the carriage will move to the right out of the service station and the printer will tell you to lift the center cover to access the printhead in the carriage.

mrbjenkins
2 2 0 0
Message 6 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Davidzuts,

I'm having a very similar issue. Here's what I understand/have done:

- On the print diagnostics all colors are perfect, except for the yellow. It doesn't even show up faintly.

- I have cleaned and aligned the printheads.

- I have manually cleaned the Magenta/Yellow printhead

- I receive no error messages

- The yellow is new, full and "expired" 12 days ago.

- I replaced the yellow cartridge as the previous cartridge was low and the color quality was diminishing. So I don't know if the problem existed with the previous cartridge or not.

- The magenta which shares the same print with the yellow is perfect.

- There liquid yellow ink on both the base of the cartridge and the "housing" where you insert the cartridge. Leading me to believe the ink is coming out ok.

Could it be, as you suggested, air in the tubing?

Many thanks for your time and thoughts on this annoying hurdle 😉

SHThompson
Level 12
3,729 3,657 305 673
Message 7 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Do a "Blot Test"

Remove the printhead with the Yellow, blot it on a dry paper towel, you should see a line of ink for each color.

If you are missing one or both colors try a slightly dampened paper towel.

If there is no yellow then you need a printhead.

If my post resolves your issue please click the accepted as solution button under it.

To thank a Tech for a post click the thumbs up button under the post.

You can even click both buttons. . .
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation