Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Get help with Large Format Printers, with direct access to all Large Format Knowledge Center· Ask anything · Find anything · Share anything at HP LKC
HP Recommended
Q6652Z
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

Trying to post this again, first time I posted earlier this morning it was deleted..it’s not like I need more frustrations right now but there you go.

The original post:

My z6100 Printer has been working fine for a couple of years then the existing belt snapped in the middle of a print. The belt was really worn out (I think it was the original belt that came with the printer) so definitely belt at fault.

Called tech out, he replaced the belt and on initialization the printer was producing quite a violent belt rattling/shaking and spitting out a 86:01 error. The scan axis seems ok at slow speed, but then it fails. After it fails, the carriage can be moved freely manually, so there seems to be no obstruction.

After no obvious solution, Tech re-installed the same belt again, being extra careful to position it as per service manual.

Re-oiled shafts, cleaned encoder, checked the cogs/pulley at either end were free of debris etc., played with the tensioner screw at different settings, but no luck, same issue keeps happening.

86:01 is the common error, however also had one 42:10 and a couple of 29:01

Currently stumped as to the cause, we are thinking possibly the tensioner assembly as the new belt didn’t come with a new one, so using the existing tensioner assembly.

We have a new belt (different revision), CR clips and tensioner assembly in transit to hopefully resolve it. Also a new encoder for good measure, even though existing one seems ok and carriage has stopped due to the belt shaking issue not always in the same position.

The video link below is a montage of 3 startups, the first 2 are normal initialization and the 3rd shows a scan axis test. I’m hoping it may assist someone knowledgeable here to post any other theories as to the cause of this.

Thanks for reading/watching - if this ever gets resolved I will post the outcome for future reference.

Video Link

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

After spending hours researching and tinkering, I have finally found a fix - so posting it here for future reference.

After finding this archived post:

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printers-Archive-Read-Only/Designjet-z6200-Carriage-Shutters-and-stops...

which sounded exactly the same as my issue, I inserted a rubber behind the bottom spring bracket which changed the angle of the pulley slightly,  and to my amazement it actually worked! I guess the printer is very fussy in regards to correct tension and/or the angle of the pulley. Such a simple fix in the end, for what seemed like a serious issue. I will replace the tensioner assembly, but for now at least I can get back to printing with this temporary fix!

Hope this helps someone out in the future, in what was a very frustrating issue to diagnose.

IMG_0224.JPG

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

After spending hours researching and tinkering, I have finally found a fix - so posting it here for future reference.

After finding this archived post:

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printers-Archive-Read-Only/Designjet-z6200-Carriage-Shutters-and-stops...

which sounded exactly the same as my issue, I inserted a rubber behind the bottom spring bracket which changed the angle of the pulley slightly,  and to my amazement it actually worked! I guess the printer is very fussy in regards to correct tension and/or the angle of the pulley. Such a simple fix in the end, for what seemed like a serious issue. I will replace the tensioner assembly, but for now at least I can get back to printing with this temporary fix!

Hope this helps someone out in the future, in what was a very frustrating issue to diagnose.

IMG_0224.JPG

HP Recommended

Hi,

I had the same problem and I did as you described .

it did help.

I wonder what was the final solution.

HP Recommended

I had an issue with a tensioner like that once and discovered the tensioner is not symmetrical.  That is, if you turn it around the incorrect way it won't align with the carriage correctly.  I thought you could put it on in either direction and be okay but it caused the kinds of problems you're having.  If yours is working now I wouldn't change it.  Good fix!

I don't work for HP....I just repair their printers.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.