cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Get help with Large Format Printers, with direct access to all Latex Knowledge Center · Ask anything · Find anything · Share anything at HP LKC
karencpafla
Level 1
7 6 0 1
Message 1 of 8
Flag Post

HP Officejet 7740 - won't allow me to create a 9x12 envelope size

HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet Pro 7740 Wide Format All-in-One Printer series
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I just purchased this new, shiny new 7740 to replace my old Epson wide format printer.  First job for it was a mail merge onto #10 envelopes.  Worked great.

Now I'm trying to print on 9x12 envelopes (very common size!).  It's not a choice in the printer's onscreen paper size.  I created a new size through the Printer Server properties, as HP's site suggested.  Word recognizes it, the printer even sort of recognizes it - the software shows it's loaded in tray 1.  However, it won't print. Tells me the wrong size paper is loaded, and when i hit OK to continue, it just spits out a blank.

According to all the manuals and it's specifications, it will take this size paper. So what's the problem?

7 REPLIES 7
A4Apollo
Retired
Retired
17,747 14,629 1,301 2,106
Message 2 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hey there! @karencpafla, Welcome to HP forums.

I understand you have issues printing envelope size from your printer.

Don't worry I'll try to help you out.

Did you any changes to your printer?

What application are you using to print envelopes?

What size of the envelope are you trying to print from your printer?

As you mentioned you have issues printing 9x12 envelope size from your printer.

I have checked the printer specifications by default you cannot print 9x12 envelope size from your printer.

However, you can create a custom size paper from your printer and print envelopes from your printer.

Create the new custom paper size
To set up the new custom paper size, create the new size in the printer software.
Search Windows for devices, and then click Devices and Printers in the list of results.
Click the icon for your printer, and then click Print server properties.
If Print server properties does not display, right-click an empty area in the Printers window, select Run as administrator from the drop-down menu, and then select Server Properties.
If the User Account Control window displays, click Continue.
On the Forms tab, select the Create a new form check box, and then type a name for the new paper size in Form name.
   NOTE:
You must choose a different, unique name for the new custom paper size. Do not use an existing paper size name.
Select Metric or English, and then type the dimensions of your custom paper in the Width and Height text boxes.
Leave the Printer area margins set at 0.00.
Metric or English
Width and Height
Click Save Form, and then click OK or Close.
   NOTE:
Supported paper sizes vary by printer. If you input custom dimensions that your printer does not support, the new custom paper size does not display when you attempt to print. Check the printer specifications for your printer for more information on supported paper sizes.

Refer this article to know more information about creating custom paper size from your printer.

Also, Try few steps recommended below to know how to print envelopes from your printer.

Format a WordPad document to print envelopes. WordPad comes pre-installed with Windows.
   NOTE:
If Microsoft Word is installed on your computer, see the Frequently asked questions in this document for steps to print envelopes with templates or the Mailings features.
Search Windows for Wordpad, then select WordPad in the results.
Click the menu icon, then click Page Setup.
In the Page Setup window, select your envelope type from the Size menu, select Landscape orientation, then click OK.
Type the address, then use the formatting tools on the Home tab to align and center the text.
Click the menu icon, move your mouse cursor over Print, then click Print Preview to make sure the address is correctly centered and sized. If necessary, make additional changes to align the text.
Click Print.

Refer this article to know more information about printing envelopes.

If the solution provided worked for you, please mark accepted solution for this post.

Let me know if this works!

Have a great day ahead! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
A4Apollo
Retired
Retired
Message 3 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@karencpafla,

We haven't heard from you,

This Post is with reference to the thread you had recently created at HP Forums.

I would like to know if the resolution I had provided worked for you?

Please reply back to your public post as the private message board is not always monitored

If you have any other queries, feel free to reply to Mr.Robot,

And thank you for being a Valuable Member of our HP Family.

If I have helped you resolve the issue, feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below,

Followed by clicking on "Accept as Solution" from the drop-down menu on the upper right corner.

Thank you for posting in the HP Support Forum.

Have a great day!”

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

karencpafla
Author
Level 1
7 6 0 1
Message 4 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you for answering.  However, your solutions do not work.  If you would re-read what I posted, you'll see that I already created the custom paper size in the printer server properties.  The problem is that it is not a size listd in the printer itself (onscreen paper setup).  So, when I go to print, the printer tells me that the paper size doesn't match and then it spits out a blank envelope.

According to the printer specifications, it most certainly should print 9x12 envelopes, as it says it will print UP TO (which includes all sizes in between) 11x17.  In reviewing the forums, I see this issue is listed many, many times, so it is obviously a problem with the HP printer/software, and you all should be aware of it.  Printing these large envelopes ( I also need to be able to print 10x13) is the only reason I purchased this printer.  If it won't work, I need to know immediately so that I can return it.

I am using Word.  I've tried using a custom size in word, and I've created the new paper size and used that.  Both have the same result - printer says the paper in it doesn't match what's printing.  When I put the envelopes in the printer, i have to select "custom" on the paper size menu.  The problem appears to be entirely on the printer end.

A4Apollo
Retired
Retired
Message 5 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@karencpafla, I appriciate your efforts for writing back to us.

As you mentioned the issue still persists after trying out the steps.

It sounds to be a driver issue.

Try uninstalling the printer drivers from root level on your PC and install the full feature printer software.

In Windows, search for and open Programs and Features.

Select your HP printer.

Select Uninstall.

In Windows, search for and open Devices and Printers.

In the Devices and Printers window look for your HP Printer. If you see it listed, right-click on it and choose "Delete" or "Remove Device.”

Open up the run command with the "Windows Key + R" key combo.

Type printui.exe /s and click OK.

Click on Drivers tab.

Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it click on it and click remove at the bottom.

Select OK.

Select Apply and OK on the Print Server Properties windows.

Close Devices and Printers.

Link to update the full feature printer software.

If the solution provided worked for you, please mark accepted solution for this post.

Let me know if this works!

Take Care! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

lost_in_printer
2 2 0 0
Message 6 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

I have this same question--- bought a wide-format printer for large envelopes.

It's not a driver issue; it's with the printer.  Printer is looking for one sheet of paper, where an envelope is two sheets folded.

Printer keeps displaying "Paper jam".

Possible solutions for the HP people:

1.  Add a 9x12 wide-format envelope option on the "paper options", OR

2.  Show us how to manually allow the printer to accept the thick envelope under the "Custom" size.

Please help quickly.  Bought the printer for envelopes and it's going back if I can't get it fixed.

Thanks,

karencpafla
Author
Level 1
7 6 0 1
Message 7 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Now that I have the ability to print 9x12 paper (thanks for finally listening and sending out that firmware update!), now I can't print on the envelopes other than upside down.  the 9x12s that I'm using are catalog envelopes, so they have the flap on the long side, like a regular envelope.  If i load them in tray 1 with the flap on the left, as we are supposed to, I just get "paper errors".  THe printer won't grab the envelope.  If I turn the envelope around, with the flap on the right, it prints perfectly - just upside down.  Seriously, HP?  Don't you test your machines before you start selling them?  This is so incredibly frustrating, when I just want to print a simple envelope.  and for your information, 9x12 envelopes ARE a standard size - they should be a paper choice in your menu.

lost_in_printer
2 2 0 0
Message 8 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I agree.  No one has helped with this problem.  

HP--- where are you???

Buying a wide-format printer for large envelopes is reasonable.  The idea that HP doesn't have settings for envelopes is inexcusable.

(I'd return it but I've thrown out the box.  Getting donated and not buying another HP product.)

Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation