Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Get help with Large Format Printers, with direct access to all Large Format Knowledge Center· Ask anything · Find anything · Share anything at HP LKC
HP Recommended
PageWide Pro MFP 477dw
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi

HP Pagewide Pro MFP 477dw

My printer is no longer printing after I have updated my Windows 10 .

I have been on the website to see if my printer is still compatible with the new update. 

There isn't any clear message to say my specific printer is still compatible, but it does say that HP Pagewide is compatible with the new update 😕 🙄

So I have tried to reinstall the latest driver,  the printer is showing that its connected to the network (my router) and a test print was successful. But the problem is when I print on an internet browser. Currently tested  Google Chrome and Microsoft Edge its not recognising my printer.  On Google Chrome the whole window shuts down when I try to print and on Microsoft Edge it says ERROR MESSAGE 0X8001015.

I did then think to try and print a PDF to see if this works. Initially it did say printer not detected (my printer is online). Then on the control panel (printer and devices) I saw the option to set as default. I got a message to say the windows will no long be controlling the printer (weird?). I clicked OK and then the printer was set as default. I was able to print from Adobe Acrobat Reader document!

10 pages into printing from Adobe it now comes up with the same message, Printing error and now I can't print again. IT was closing down Abode Reader too but this was an intermittent pattern.  The printer is networked and set as default.

I'm not as technical as majority of you but with right instruction and guidance would any of you be able to give me any help?

Thanks for reading!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You can try the following:

If you are printing via a network connection you should do the following:

1. Use the HP Universal Print driver, PCL6

2. Install the printer manually on a Standard TCP/IP port. By default Windows likes to use a WSD port and these are notoriously failure prone. 

3. Manually set the printer as the default printer, when you do this you will get a warning that doing this will stop Windows from  managing your printer, which is what you want to do.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

You can try the following:

If you are printing via a network connection you should do the following:

1. Use the HP Universal Print driver, PCL6

2. Install the printer manually on a Standard TCP/IP port. By default Windows likes to use a WSD port and these are notoriously failure prone. 

3. Manually set the printer as the default printer, when you do this you will get a warning that doing this will stop Windows from  managing your printer, which is what you want to do.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

I'm having the exact same issue on a clients laptop. Printing from any app will occasional work, but mostly, will not. Attempting to print will cause the application you are printing from to close, then reopen.

I've done everything I can (including the suggestions in this thread) to no avail. I've got 20 years experience as an IT consultant. I've gone through every fix known to me from my experience, nothing seems to fix it (including a complete reset of windows 10).

HP Recommended

Keep in mind that some recent Windows updates have caused issues with printing and print spooling so you may want to check some Windows forums to see which updates may need to be uninstalled.

HP Recommended

Thanks for your time,

I initially  manually set the printer as the default printer, I did get a warning that doing this will stop Windows from  managing your printer, and agreeds. 

Still when I went to print on Chrome it was crashing or on Edge it was saying Error .

I managed to talk to someone in HP and they installed the HP Universal Print driver, PCL6

Using this I am able to now print from a web browser( and Adobe) and Chrome no longer crashes when I go to print.

What my research has found that I do need to 'fix' Windows 10 new update as I can see this is a direct associate to my problems of not printing.

I do want to look into installing the printer manually on a Standard TCP/IP port. I want to see what happens but for now the universal printer driver is working for me.

HP Recommended

The port is independant of the driver. You can configure a UPD driver to use a Standard TCP/IP port.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.