cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Get help with Large Format Printers, with direct access to all Latex Knowledge Center · Ask anything · Find anything · Share anything at HP LKC
DanTM
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post

HP T1300 shipment prep

HP Recommended
DesignJet T1300
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Are there any special things that need to be done to prepare a DesignJet T1300 for truck shipment?  We are acquiring one from another location in another state within the same company, and want to ensure that it is not damaged during shipment.   Any hints are appreciated.

2 REPLIES 2
DanTM
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I found a user manual, but it doesn’t talk about shipment, only moving and storing.  These should also apply to shipping, at the minimum, but there should be more, I would think.  We don't have the original packaging, so using that is not an option.

Move or store the printer

If you need to move or store the printer, prepare it correctly to avoid possible damage to it. To prepare

the printer, follow the instructions below.

1. Do not remove the ink cartridges or printheads.
  2. Make sure that no paper is loaded.
  3. Make sure that the printer is idle.
  4. Disconnect any cables connecting the printer to a network or a computer.

If you need to leave the printer turned off for a long time, follow the additional steps below.

1. Turn off the power using the Power key on the front panel.
  2. Also turn off the power switch at the rear of the printer.
  3. Disconnect the printer's power cable.
Was this reply helpful? Yes No
D Hook
Level 7
874 821 36 101
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

If I was going to ship across country and had to pack a printer like that, I'd have a foam-lined crate built.  Soft foam (like sofa cushion foam for instance) at least 3" thick will cushion any sharp shocks and the crate will protect the plastic casement.  It's worth the investment in materials/labor to protect a rather expensive printer.  If you need to palletize it for commercial shipping, be sure it's strapped to the pallet.  Ideally, the pallet would be secured to the floor of the truck so it can't bounce around but unlikely to be strapped on a commercial truck.  It's the bouncing up and down that can do the damage so the foam will help prevent problems.

As far as prepping the printer, like the instructions say, leave the printheads in place.  The carriage is locked in place when parked so it won't move.  Shouldn't have to remove ink carts either.  If weather is below freezing it's fine.  I've been told by HP the ink won't freeze up.  Remove paper and spindle. 

Let us know how it goes.

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation