Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Get help with Large Format Printers, with direct access to all Large Format Knowledge Center· Ask anything · Find anything · Share anything at HP LKC
HP Recommended

hi, hope anyone can help me clarify this. i have a Z3200 and all heads and inks are expired. i have a extra stock of expired inks. the current situation is that my printheads are defective and needs replacement. If i buy a set of new printheads with warranty, will the warranty void if i use my expired ink with them? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello.

The expiration date is engraved on each HP printhead, this means that outside this date they do not guarantee that the printhead works well. Outside of this date the plotter may reject the head. Now I am not sure that this date is similar to the warranty time. Now HP has no way to demonstrate if you have used an ink that has not expired, it only determines physical or mechanical damage to the head.

I mean physical damage for example: If you remove the head from the package it falls to the ground or to any surface an

the impact damages it visibly. 

I have been repairing HP plotter for almost 18 years and I have changed many heads with expired inks and I have had no problems. Now I'm going to give you some advice.

You must ensure that the ink supply tubes are not clogged or has air inside,  especially when the plotter has not been used for a long time. Well, this cause the new printhead to start having printing problems in a few days. Before install the new printhead You must thump the pipes with a syringe. On Youtube there are videos that show how to do it.

Good luck and let me know.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hello.

Nothing to do. You can install them without a problem that will not affect the warranty. Just make sure to gently beat the inks before putting the heads on. This is because it may have sediment and cause problems.

Best regard

HP Recommended

hello Jorge70, thanks for your reply. appreciate it in such short time. how will i know that HP will not refuse to give me replacements? what proof do i have?

HP Recommended

HP can void your warranty on the printhead if the figure out you used expired ink cartridge. Will they do an investigation and look for the cause of printhead fail, probably not, but you are using expired ink at your risk.

How long are your unopened inks expired?

This warranty does not cover HP ink cartridges or customer-replaceable printheads that have been refilled, remanufactured, refurbished, misused, or tampered with. If failure or damage to ink cartridges or customer-replaceable printheads is attributable to the use of non-HP ink, a non-HP, expired or refilled ink cartridge, or to the use with a non-designated HP or unauthorized OEM printing device, HP is not responsible for the cost of replacement or refund of the purchase price.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00206040 

My profile on LinkedIn

HP Recommended

Hello.

The expiration date is engraved on each HP printhead, this means that outside this date they do not guarantee that the printhead works well. Outside of this date the plotter may reject the head. Now I am not sure that this date is similar to the warranty time. Now HP has no way to demonstrate if you have used an ink that has not expired, it only determines physical or mechanical damage to the head.

I mean physical damage for example: If you remove the head from the package it falls to the ground or to any surface an

the impact damages it visibly. 

I have been repairing HP plotter for almost 18 years and I have changed many heads with expired inks and I have had no problems. Now I'm going to give you some advice.

You must ensure that the ink supply tubes are not clogged or has air inside,  especially when the plotter has not been used for a long time. Well, this cause the new printhead to start having printing problems in a few days. Before install the new printhead You must thump the pipes with a syringe. On Youtube there are videos that show how to do it.

Good luck and let me know.

HP Recommended

Thanks a lot Jorge for the detailed explanation. i now totally understand the pros and cons. So i will go ahead to purchase the print heads only. Also theres one more thing. 1 of the print heads started to reject and i got a burn smell. Could it be to ink starvation in the tubes or worn out PH?

HP Recommended

Hello.

I have never had a burned smell head. I recommend you remove it immediately. check and clean the contacts on the carriage and never put it back because it can damage the electronic board of the carriage. The PH of Z3200 is thermal ink print technology.  

Thermal ink printing

At the head of a thermal ink printer, the ink is sprayed onto the paper in rapid succession by means of various print nozzles. Today's printers have over 400 print nozzles. The volume of ink that comes out of each nozzle is 4 to 5 picoliters (one picoliter = trillionth of a liter). In this way, the finest print gradations are guaranteed.

There are heating elements in each nozzle, which are heated about 300 degrees
centigrade in less than 100 micro seconds, as soon as an electrical voltage is created. Then the ink is sprayed out of the nozzle onto the paper like an explosion. This ink's drop help to cool  the heating element preventing it overheating. If PH runs out of ink and You keep printing It may burn and maybe It's the smell You felt. 

So You must sure that the pipers are not clogged. You must thumb them.

Well. I hope You have understood my explanation and I wish You good luck.

HP Recommended

Hp or your supplier will ask you to print out the information from the printers embedded web page. If it shows that you have out of warranty consumables then it will be at their discretion if they provide a replacement or credit. I've been asked to do this by my supplier and because everything was still in warranty I was given credit for another purchase. If you have expired ink shake the ink for a minute instead of a few shakes like the diagram states. Latex ink will clump eventually. Same for the printheads give them a really good shake before putting them in.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.