Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Get help with Large Format Printers, with direct access to all Large Format Knowledge Center· Ask anything · Find anything · Share anything at HP LKC
HP Recommended
Z3200
Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan

During the last month, my 4 year old Z3200 would only remain active for about 10 minutes before it goes to sleep.  It would not rewaken without turning the power off and rebooting it.  It wouldn't reawaken by depressing any buttons on the controls nor would the printer utility recognize it.  It continued to print OK, but I suspected the regular periodic printhead nozzle cleaning process wasn't working because test charts have been getting worse.

The sleep time is set for an hour, so that's not related to the problem.   Besides, it's more than a sleep.  It's a coma.

So last week I updated (actually, reinstalled) the latest firmware.  No help.   

I then did an EEROM reset.  After the reset, the machine identified a previously working printhead as malfunctional, so I replaced it.  It could have somehow miraculously failed sometime during the EEROM reset process (it had been working days before after a fresh power up), but I thought that curious.  Anyway, the new printhead is recognized as functional so it's apparently a non issue.

I've tried to reboot the printer about 10 times now.  

Each time on booting up, it asks me to replace the printheads.  I can get past that request by either (1) pulling out just one printhead and immediately reseating it or (2) by doing a much more cumbersome procedure found elsewhere here (turning the machine off, removing all printheads, pushing the carriage back to the right, restarting, reseating all printheads and continuing).  Both methods work to get me past the error message to the normal startup "preparing print system" menu.  During the "preparing print system" menu, the machine makes normal noises and appears to start running through normal boot up self diagnostics etc.  But after about 10 minutes, it always shuts down and becomes unresponsive.  As mentioned, neither the front panel nor the HP Utility can control it after it becomes unresponsive.  

There are no error messages at all when it shuts down, or at any other time (except for the earlier printhead replacement message described above).  It simply powers down and continues to make quieter sounds, so something is remaining on at least. If I simply don't try to replace the printheads, the machine stays on indefinitely as if in wake mode.  The panel works, and the Utility recognizes the printer and nonprinting adjustments can be made.  But I can't print anything because if I try, it now asks me to replace the printheads.  

On my last few restarts, I once again reinstalled the correct firmware to no avail.  Same problems, so it wasn't that.

I usually operate it on a wireless router.  I have been doing that for four years, have had zero problems and no new electric equipment withing 500 yards.  But I've even unplugged that for the last four restarts ago so it's not connecting to any network at all, and it doesn't make any difference.

Any suggestions?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

The printer is fully reassembled now and fully working.

It's hard to tell exactly what the problem and solution was.  I expect the problem was a combination of something in the power supply (I replaced that, but not the electronic board underneath) and the PCA board (replaced).  I also suspect it was caused by some sort of power surge (we live at the end of a long electric line 30 miles from the generating plant and have occasional lightning and known bad power.  Both were required to get it back up and running correctly.

Thanks especially to David Zutz for leading me in the right direction.

View solution in original post

30 REPLIES 30
HP Recommended

Enter the service mode and perform as many tests as you can to see if one of them shuts it down. I would think you either have an issue with the power supply module on the left side, carriage assembly or one or more printheads.

HP Recommended

Thanks David.  Consulting the directions, it looks like I need to power down using the X (power) key on the keyboard, and NOT use the power switch  on the back of the computer, to power down and restart the computer.  The X key does NOT work at all to power down.  Should I reboot using the power switch on the back regardless of the instructions regardless or take some other action?

Instructions reprinted below.

Entering the Diagnostic Tests Menu

In order to enter the Diagnostic Tests Menu, please refer to the instructions on Page 3-59.

1. Make sure the printer is switched OFF from the power switch on the front of the printer and NOT from the power switch on the back of the printer.

2. For On-Site Engineers, hold the Up arrow key and the OK key down and switch the printer ON using the front power switch. Wait until the LED of the power switch stops flashing (usually after 20 seconds) before releasing ALL three keys.

3. Once inside the Service Tests Menu use the Arrow keys to scroll through the “diagnostic test” selections. Press the OK key to begin a specific test when the required diagnostic test is highlighted.

HP Recommended

Start the printer using the power switch in the back and when it starts to initialize press and hold the power button  on the control panel until it shuts down. If it shuts down, then you should be able to then use the routine to get into service mode.

HP Recommended

Thanks David, really appreciated.  

First, my bad.  I was pressing the cancel key (X), not the shut down key.  When I boot up and get the replace printhead message, then press the menu key, I can shut down the computer with the control panel.  Sorry, I was able to do that.

Here's a partial list of results so far.  I will post the final results hopefully within 24 hours.

1. Scan Axis

* Star Wheel Lifter - OK

* PRS - OK

* Scan Axis - Unclear.  I can't see the carriage supply LED, nor am I 100% certain I know where to look.  The service manual states "Open the Window and verify that the LED is on. The LED can be seen through the slots in the carriage cover."  I am looking at the printhead carriage, and I don't see any lights coming through the slots in the top of that, and if I open the latch, I still don't see any lights.  If I fail that portion of the test because there's some light there that's supposed to be coming on, the results read "FAIL carriage supply.  Also check 11.10TC and 07:10."  I repeated the test and assumed that I was looking in the wrong place for the LED light and it was on somewhere else.  When I do that and follow the test through to completion, the test passes.  

* Cutter - OK

2. Media Drive - FAIL.  This test failed only because Channel A Gain was 4.0, and the specs called for it within 0 to 3.5.  The other specs were in range:  Channel A Offset, 5.0.  Channel B Gain 4.0.  Channel B Offset 4.0.

HP Recommended

OK here's the full list of results.

1. Scan Axis

* Star Wheel Lifter - OK

* PRS - OK

* Scan Axis - Unclear to me.  I can't see the carriage supply LED, nor am I 100% certain I know where to look.  The service manual states "Open the Window and verify that the LED is on. The LED can be seen through the slots in the carriage cover."  I am looking at the printhead carriage, and I don't see any lights coming through the slots in the top of that, and if I open the latch, I still don't see any lights.  If I fail that portion of the test because there's some light there that's supposed to be coming on, the results read "FAIL carriage supply.  Also check 11.10TC and 07:10."  I repeated the test and assumed that I was looking in the wrong place for the LED light and it was on somewhere else.  When I do that and follow the test through to completion, the test passes.  

* Cutter - OK

2. Media Drive - FAIL.  This test failed only because Channel A Gain was 4.0, and the specs called for it within 0 to 3.5.  The other specs were in range:  Channel A Offset, 5.0.  Channel B Gain 4.0.  Channel B Offset 4.0.

3. Electronics Module  - OK.  

4. Carriage Assembly - Failed three ways.  The third failure (55:11) kicked me out of the test and I was unable to complete steps 22-51 of the test.

a. the manual requires a Carriage Assembly PCA revision numbered between 0.823 and 1.005. The number on the display is 2.306.

b. the Carriage Voltage was 32.001, below the voltage specified, between 43.6 and 46.3.

c. Error 55:11, Tolerance - Blue, Green, Red and Ambar led out of limits

5. Sensors - OK

6. SOL (aka Color Sensor, ESP) - OK

7. IDS

* Ink Delivery System - OK

* Check Ink Supplies - OK

* Check Linkage - OK

8. Service Station

* Service Station - OK

* Primer Motor - OK

* Aerosol Fan - OK

9. IO - OK

10. Unit Information - OK

11. EEROM Reset - OK. 

HP Recommended

System Error: 55:YZ
Problem
Description:
Problem with the Line Sensor (Tetris). The printer has detected a failure to
access Line Sensor EEPROM).
Corrective Action: Try the following:
 Switch the Power OFF from the back of the Printer and disconnect the
Power cord. Reconnect the power cord and power On the Printer.
 Perform the Carriage Test to troubleshoot the problem further  Page 3-
 Check the Line Sensor connections to the Carriage PCA.
 Replace the Line Sensor  Page 6-130.
 If the System Error continues, replace the Carriage PCA  Page 6-140.

HP Recommended

Thanks.  

For (1) "Switch the Power OFF from the back of the Printer and disconnect the
Power cord. Reconnect the power cord and power On the Printer" and (2) "Perform the Carriage Test to troubleshoot the problem further  Page 3-27", I repeated both procedures just now and my problems remain the same.

The remaining procedures (3) Check the Line Sensor connections to the Carriage PCA, (4) Replace the Line Sensor,  Page 6-130, and (5) If the System Error continues, replace the Carriage PCA  Page 6-140 require a lot of work to take apart the printer.  

At this point, I guess I need to go through that process, and possibly spend $67 for a new line sensor or $1,300 for a new carriage PCA.  Is that right, or does anyone have any further suggestions to try?

HP Recommended

The first thing you want to do is remove the cover to the carriage pca and check the connection of the sensor which is located on the right side. What I have done when I had issues with the printhead ribbon cables to the left of the sensor cable was to remove the cable and then reinsert and close things up and see what happens. Sometimes it is just the cable not making good contact. The line sensor is the led light that shines down to find the edge of the paper and is also used when calibrating the printheads where is shines a light down and a receptor which is part of the same assembly receives the light back to make adjustments as necessary. It would be very rare for the issue to be the carriage assembly but rather the carriage pca which is not that expensive. See the link below:

https://parts.hp.com/hpparts/Search_Results.aspx?mscssid=70D8D2C6DC3D442A97962B2AF99A9E5C&SearchIn=P...

HP Recommended

OK, will do and report back.  Thanks for all your help David.  I hope somehow you get compensated for this, or otherwise find joy in helping the troubled!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.