Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Get help with Large Format Printers, with direct access to all Large Format Knowledge Center· Ask anything · Find anything · Share anything at HP LKC
HP Recommended
designjet 500
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,I am having a issue using refilled cartridges that I just purchased,I have a large format printer,designjet 500,I can feel the cartridges are full but they are reading empty,

! comes up

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@KZACH66 

I am not familiar with your printer type - the following is based on a more general statement about HP cartridges and use.

Refilled cartridge use for any except a particular type of cartridge or tank that is manufactured to be refilled, is not supported.  Some printers (still) tolerate the use of refilled cartridges.

In general, HP does not manufacture "refillable" cartridges.

There are a few problems with refilled cartridges (most of which will not be addressed here).

One of the issues on a printer that tolerates the practice of using Refilled Ink:

Cartridges that are not manufactured to be refilled do not "sense" that the empty cartridge once again is filled with ink.  The sensor simply does not work that way - it was never intended to do so.

Possibly related - Please simply ignore the following if you find the comments unhelpful or irritating...

Refilled cartridges are not manufactured - rather they are usually created by adding an ink product to previously used, empty ink cartridges.

Refilling cartridges at home presents its own challenges (not addressed here).

Purchasing refilled cartridges means you are depending on the cartridges, the ink, and the process used by the merchant from whom you are purchasing the product.  If a refilled cartridge does not work as expected, consider returning it for a replacement cartridge.  Reminder:  There are no guarantees from HP whether this would work, whether there is any change in behavior, benefit, or outcome. 

At some point, partly because the ink used in refilled cartridges may not be manufactured to current industry standards, the ink in refilled cartridges might actually damage the ink system in your printer. 

Perhaps (big emphasis on the possibility as opposed to fact), the printer is starting to object to the use of these cartridges.  Again, the "fill" sensor on cartridges that are not meant to be refilled likely does not work simply because it was never intended to work more than the one time.  It may be possible, too, that there are complications developing due to the use of refilled cartridges and "off brand" ink.

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Click Thumbs Up on a post to say Thank You!

Answered? Click post "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

the cartridge reads empty because the monitor chip on the cartridge knows that the cartridge has printed all the pages it can with the amount of ink that can be installed. Either the chip needs to be reset or replaced, either of which any reputable vendor will do when selling refilled products, but then there are many out there who are not reputable. Contact the vendor and demand satisfaction. There is no saving in buying a product you cannot use.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.