cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Get help with Large Format Printers, with direct access to all Latex Knowledge Center · Ask anything · Find anything · Share anything at HP LKC
Bantambouncer
5 4 0 0
Message 1 of 11
Flag Post

Insert Printhead Cleaners?

HP Recommended
HP Designjet 5000ps

Can anyone help me?

All my printer ever says is "Insert Printhead Cleaners" but the only problem is that they are already inserted, it is like they cannot be read, is there anyway of bypassing and over ride them?

I have turned off and on the printer numerous times but to no avail 😞

Regards

10 REPLIES 10
Tacomab
Level 3
46 26 4 14
Message 2 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Let's attempt a soft reset preform the steps below

Turn your printer ON
With the power ON, disconnect the power cable from the rear of the printer
Leave the power cable disconnected for 30 seconds
Plug the power cable back in
The printer will start back up on its own

Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem. .

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
JackB44
Level 3
60 60 1 14
Message 3 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Reading state of cleaners cannot be overriden. If printers asked you to replace cleaners and you didnt replaced them with new one its one problem. But if printer suddenly started asking for ALL printhead cleaners than It looks like that line sensor on carriage is not working.

Bantambouncer
Author
5 4 0 0
Message 4 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello, thanks for the info, i will give it a try later today, Thanks again.

Bantambouncer
Author
5 4 0 0
Message 5 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello again, i've just tried the soft reset but had no luck, i'll have to try another line senor and see how that goes, it just seems strange that i have put a sensor in already but it keeps saying the same thing on all cleaners "Insert Cleaners"

Thanks again for your replies.

meat1820
Level 4
109 99 8 16
Message 6 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

try removing your printheads and cleaners with the power off. power back up and let printer initialize and see if printer asks for printheads to be inserted and then the cleaners.

report back what happens....

Bantambouncer
Author
5 4 0 0
Message 7 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi, thanks, i will try that tomorrow and report back 🙂

JackB44
Level 3
60 60 1 14
Message 8 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Bantambouncer,

I am sorry, I do not want to be misleading. Here is your starting point with this Z6100.

1. There are no cleaners, there is one big maintenance cartridge for all print heads, and it is fitted on the right side of printer in its carriage and moves front-back. When you replace it, machine checks it and accepts it by resetting usage counter inside of firmware. If counter is on max you got the message to replace it. (Similar written in User's manual)

1. Checking of maintenance cartridge is done by many parts or subsystems but what I've noticed is that it uses also Line sensor (so called in SM, not like I named it Line encoder) Sorry for my mistake.

On carriage with print heads there are three opto components one is Color sensor (LEFT pos.; opto spectrophotometer for color accuracy calibration - for making ICC profiles for medias), second is Line encoder (MIDDLE BACK pos.- this is quadrature photo interrupter through which passes encoder strip (steel strip with printed micro encodings on vinyl) and provides information about position, direction and speed of carriage. And the third one is Line sensor - used for print head alignment and media detection in print zone.

So, I am suggesting you to check following:

1. How good is encoder strip in right zone (if those very, very small encodings are covered with ink, you have to replace it. If carriage moves smoothly to left and right than your Line encoder is OK
  2. Fool sensor of right door, keep it open and turn on the printer: watch what is happening with maintenance cartridge (moving is good). You will notice in one moment that print head carriage is moving over like checking it, you might even notice some light from below carriage. If there is the light then replace maintenance cartridge but if there is no light check line sensor for dirt.

Everything else requires some experience, documentation, patience and original spare parts.

All best!

Bantambouncer
Author
5 4 0 0
Message 9 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi thanks for your reply, my printer is the 5000ps and not the Z6100, it definetly has Cleaners in 🙂

Regards

D Hook
Level 7
877 824 37 101
Message 10 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Jack, you may have confused this poster with the thread I had up about the Z6100 maintenance cartridge that wouldn't be recognized and you suggested the line sensor.

Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation