Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Get help with Large Format Printers, with direct access to all Large Format Knowledge Center· Ask anything · Find anything · Share anything at HP LKC
HP Recommended

I would like ask for your assistance in choosing an appropriate inkjet cartridge and some technical information that I don't think would be proprietary.  First, allow me to explain my application. 

I am a retired electrical engineer and would like to build what is in essence a circuit board printer.  My intent is to construct a small X – Y plotter capable of printing an etch-resist pattern directly on to a copper clad, epoxy-glass board.  This would require several specific characteristics in the type of ink and cartridge chosen.  At present, I envision the general process to be a raster printing of a bitmap image, but I have not yet locked in anything.  The ink would need to be fast drying, dense and resistant to the etchant, which, for the moment, I will assume to be a warm solution of ammonium persulfate.  I want to use a replaceable inkjet cartridge, such as your number “45”, although I have no way to know if this would be the most appropriate ink.

So, then my first question is; can you recommend the best ink for my application.

Next, and this is the more difficult ask; if you have advised a particular ink and cartridge, May I get some technical information on driving the cartridge.  I would like to know the pinout of the cartridge, and a printer that was designed to use it, (I will need to find an old printer in order to scavenge a carriage with the appropriate contacts for the cartridge), I would also like to know some electrical characteristics.  I would like to know the proper pulse Voltage, duration and recovery rate, (maximum firing rate for the jets).  Of course, any additional information would be helpful.  I have seen several “hacked” printer projects in my reading, but I would, very much, like to start my project with information from the experts.  I can’t say that I have always loved inkjet printers and cartridges, but there are some applications where they are the best choice.  I have no desire to refill cartridges or anything of the sort.  That would be a mess and is not the project I have in mind, although, your tube fed cartridges are tempting.  Anyway.

Thank you and I hope that you can help me.

Ink-idiot

[Personal Information Removed]

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.