Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Get help with Large Format Printers, with direct access to all Large Format Knowledge Center· Ask anything · Find anything · Share anything at HP LKC
HP Recommended
designjet t730
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My plotter stood more than 7 months without use. Just recently started to use it, cleaned the printhead several times and got great diagnostics page in all colors. But if I leave it 2 days without use, it clogs again and have to clean printhead several times to unclog. What could be the reason for this tendency to clog? My oldest cartridge is from 2020 (300 ml matte). Should I suspect of bad ink? What do you think?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

If any of the inks are pigment based, some pigment may have settled and randomly get sucked in to the printhead, clogging it. Was the printer left for seven months, unplugged or completely turned off? If yes then this is quite possibly the cause.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

If any of the inks are pigment based, some pigment may have settled and randomly get sucked in to the printhead, clogging it. Was the printer left for seven months, unplugged or completely turned off? If yes then this is quite possibly the cause.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

Black is the worst performing and is the most "pigmented". That explains that the printhead got clogged. But what I don´t understand is why the printhead is cleaned and clogged again very easily. I assumed that several cleanings would eliminate most of the solids inside the printhead and that's why gets cleaned. But then, seems other solids are created inside printhead in a few days or fed from cartridges. But the black ink is quite new...

HP Recommended

What kind of ink are you using?  Sometimes aftermarket ink can cause printhead problems.

I don't work for HP....I just repair their printers.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.