Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Get help with Large Format Printers, with direct access to all Large Format Knowledge Center· Ask anything · Find anything · Share anything at HP LKC
HP Recommended
surface pro
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

The black is streaking but it is a brand new cartidge.The black is streaking but it is a brand new cartidge.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

I have done eight cleanings and six alignments and I am still getting streaking on the black cartridge.  All four cartridges were installed prior to cleaning and alignments.

Not sure what to do unless it is a defective hp cartridge?

Your input is appreciated.

Tom

HP Recommended

defective ink cartridge will not cause a single element to fail. You have another issue here, looks like a clogged elements in the print head. A pirnthead purge might clear the issue, however my NDA with HP does not allow me to share info like that. You should contact technical support.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

What about a black ink smear like the one in this image? It only shows up when I clean the print heads. Started with an empty cartridge and continued after installing a brand new one. Every page I print after the clean has a black streak on it (it fades after about 12-15 pages). but there is still some ugly residue.

HP PageWide Pro 577 smear.jpg

And this is page #15. The smudges (circled in blue) are barely (more so the one at the bottom of the page), but still, visible. If I dare clean the print heads again, I will get the smear above and after 15 (and more) pages it will fade. There is still residue at the botto,

990293568.jpg 

Any suggestions are most welcome. Thank you!

HP Recommended

Is there excess ink in the cavity where the cartridges insert. The large smear suggests leaking printed. The small dots are caused by excess ink on the starwheels. If the unit is in warranty I would contact tech support immediately  

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

I have not checked; thank you for the suggestion. The mfp, unfortunately, is out of warranty. I've printed ~11k pages in its lifetime, so naturally I'm disappointed. Also, for what it's worth, the smear only appears when I perform level 1 or 2 cleaning. 

I've ordered an advanced cleaning kit in hopes that it will resolve the issue. Do you think it will? The alternative is taking the mfp to a service center for diagnosis and repair, with which cost I am unfamiliar. At this point, $25 for the cleaning kit is a no-brainer. I honestly don't plan to spend more in repairing the mfp than in buying a new one.

Thanks again for the suggestion! 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.