cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Get help with Large Format Printers, with direct access to all Latex Knowledge Center · Ask anything · Find anything · Share anything at HP LKC
Xenara4evr
Level 1
5 3 0 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post

Plotter self-deleted from Windows 10

HP Recommended
Designjet 430 - D
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have been running a legacy driver in Windows 10 (Vista driver - DSGJ400.inf) for my DesignJet 430. Everything has been working fine. Recently, I shut down my computer and upon turning it on, the printer was missing. I have tried installing it again, using the same driver; however, it won't print a test page or communicate with the plotter. I have tried different USB ports and nothing seems to help. I read that this could be a problem with an HP service running; however, the HP Cue service is not running.

The only error I really have is in the PRINTER/SCANNER section, it says "USB 2.0 Print - Driver is unavailable"

I have tried using the standard LPT1 port as well as creating a port. I'm unsure where to find the IP address to install it via TCP/IP. When I installed it before, the system would not scan to find the plotter, nor will it now.

One other item of interest is that this has happened in the past; however, it had been working since the last install of the driver.

Any help is greatly appreciated. 🙂

Xenara4evr

5 REPLIES 5
davidzuts
Level 13
7,130 7,062 558 1,025
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Your probllem is windows 10 does lots of updates and lately any printer that used usb 2.0 has difficulty since windows 10 supports usb 3.0. My suggestion would be to get an external parallel or usb print server which you connect to your network router or switch. You then connect the plotter to the server find its ip address and then use tcp/ip to load the printer. If you go to ebay most older hp external paralle print servers will work and since they are hp they have a button routine that will print out the network settings to the plotter so you can obtain the ip address.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-JetDirect-300X-J3262A-External-Print-Server-W-Power-Adapter-/362048997975...

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
Xenara4evr
Author
Level 1
5 3 0 0
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you for the information. Is there any way to force it to work again without getting a USB or parallel print server or am I kind of sunk without the print server?

davidzuts
Level 13
7,130 7,062 558 1,025
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I see a lot of posts with people having issues with legacy printers and windows 10. When you use tcp/ip there is no issue with communication which exists with both parallel and usb connections to windows 10 computers and as microsoft continues to update the operating system I have a feeling things will only get worse. I always look for the alternative that I know works otherwise I am wasting a lot of my time.

Xenara4evr
Author
Level 1
5 3 0 0
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks so much for the advice!! Sadly, I think you're right about the continued problems even if I could get it to work now. I'm looking at the link you sent right now. Thanks again for your help. 😄

Xenara4evr
Author
Level 1
5 3 0 0
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have one more question. Since the JetDirect box works on a parallel or serial connection, would it work to simply connect the plotter via the parallel port to the PC directly? This is the only PC that prints directly to the plotter.

Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation