cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Get help with Large Format Printers, with direct access to all Latex Knowledge Center · Ask anything · Find anything · Share anything at HP LKC
ChemDogNick
Level 1
5 3 1 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

Print Preview on HP DesignJet T1700dr

HP Recommended
DesignJet 1700dr PS
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have installed the HPGL/2 driver for my new T1700dr (1VD88A). This driver is the only driver that seems to include a print preview option. This print preview feature - where the preview is rendered using the printer's web server - is extremely valuable for minimizing wasted prints.

tempsnip.png

When this box is checked, a new web page appears. However, it is entirely blank (white background). However, no prevew ever appears in this window. Even for simple documents after 10 minutes.

When I visit the web page for the printer, it does appear that documents are on hold:

Capture.PNG

But there is no obvious way to either (a) preview the job, or (b) push the job through to start print (even without a preview).

As an aside, where is the preview option for the PS and PCL3 drivers?

3 REPLIES 3
jasonmiamifl
Level 7
880 810 37 84
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

the preview you have above was the media size & layout preview. There should be another preview before print.

For example, I use photoshop to edit images, after all ready to print... I go to print property, which lead to your

screen to define core media size, also print quality etc.

After return to print property, there is a preview screen for actual image , also media type, icc profile & other options.

if image preview all ok... the press              print   .....

==============

I use Designjet Z3100ps   , not your printer model.... not sure my reply right or wrong... use it as reference.....

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
juannqn
Level 2
Level 2
31 31 1 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello,

this printer generates the preview using an application that is included on the driver installer:

https://support.hp.com/gb-en/drivers/selfservice/swdetails/hp-designjet-t1700-printer-series/1757207...

you can give a try installing it.

the preview feature is quite nice: 

HP PREVIEWHP PREVIEW

unfortunatly it will be mandatory install another printer driver, but after that you can choose wich one you want to use.

let us know if works.

Cheers and GL.

I am an HP employee
ChemDogNick
Author
Level 1
5 3 1 0
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Quick update: I later learned that the print preview does display on the flat panel display on the printer itself. It's small (obviously), but it gets the job done. The problem is that this behavior is nowhere documented in the manual, and the fact that the driver directs my browser to a blank web page is highly misleading.

I appreciate the suggestions from the two users above, however neither of them address the real solution, which could be one of the following:

1. Fix the EWS so that previews can be viewed remotely via web page for the HP/GL2 driver. This is the expected behavior given older models (e.g. my DesignJet 4500ps).  It would also be nice to have th is in the PCL and PS drivers.
  2. Alternatively, one could remove the "print preview" from the driver box of the older series HP/GL2 driver. This would make it consistent with the PCL and PS drivers, even if did remove what I consider to be a useful feature.

The current solution is to use the "Modern PCL" driver, or the full featured driver as suggested above. But the full featured driver is also problematic, as noted in another one of my posts (and confirmed by HP tech support). Fortunately there is a workaround, which I've posted there.

I'm going to leave this open for now, because I think it's a software problem that needs to be addressed. I've never purchased a newly-released printer from HP, but clearly there are some loose ends that HP needs to tie up with this unit.

Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation