cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Get help with Large Format Printers, with direct access to all Latex Knowledge Center · Ask anything · Find anything · Share anything at HP LKC
Alek83
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

Printer HDD replacement

HP Recommended
Desingjet 4500
Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)

I need help with HP Designjet 4500 printer (Model Q1271A). The printer was purchased a long time ago and is no longer warranted.

I hope that you can answer my questions.

Here's how the story goes.

About a year ago, printer broke down, during printing. My friend heard some mechanical sound after which the printer stopped working. We shutdown the printer and then we started it again. Only a blank window is displayed on the printer's display, after a few seconds it exhibits the tweedle tone followed by eight beeps. We checked the user manual for this printer, it says Hard Disk Drive is damaged or missing.After that, we checked whether all the cables were connected properly and we started the printer again, but the result was the same. We've tested HDD, it's not functional. Then, we replaced the HDD with another, but we were not sure if we should format it in any particular file system such as NTFS or Fat32 or etc. Again, we started the printer, the display was still empty, but the eight beeps were not heard, and the booting process was not started yet.I searched the internet and your web pages about the HDD replacement process. What I found is that the HDD needs to be replaced and the procedure how to replace it. But it does not state that it is necessary to format the HDD or that an application, operating system, or some firmware needs to be installed on the hdd.

My questions are as follows:

- Can I use an old HDD or do I have to order it from you?
- If I can use my HDD, should I format it in a special file system and if so, what file system should it have to be?
- Should there be something installed on it? Is it a program, an operating system, or a firmware?
- I know that there is a possibility that something else is wrong in the printer, but for now I am interested in the replacement of hdd and its procedure (also preparation of HDD for installation.)?
- In case something needs to be installed, can I get links to the software and tools I need to install?

If you have to add something about HDD replacement or about something else, please do so.

Best regards!!!

3 REPLIES 3
Valsimot
Level 12
Level 12
6,339 6,322 753 1,060
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

If you can find working used HDD for sale that was removed from Designjet 4500 that would be the easiest fix.

HDD contains firmware, you can't use any HDD it will not work and I think you can't upload firmware on HDD from the printer.

There was an option to connect any HDD to PC an using DOS you could save firmware previously downloaded from the internet to HDD and it would work on Designjet 5500. I am sorry but I can't remember the whole process but I am sure that PC took like the whole hour to copy the firmware to HDD.

My profile on LinkedIn

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
D Hook
Level 7
877 824 36 101
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I've had good luck using Ebay for replacement hard drives.  They usually will come loaded with the correct firmware, making them a plug and play replacement. 

Here's a link to LPS, a reputable seller for Designjet parts: 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-Designjet-4500-Hard-Disk-Drive-Q1273-60243/222075433139?epid=1619775233&...

They're a little more expensive but will help you get it up and running again.

No affilitation, just a satisfied customer.

leonehal
Level 3
33 27 1 1
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Yes. You can do it from old computer. You can remove HDD form Designjet 5500 & install on HDD. I did it & it works.

I can not remember steps. I think I have written on one of post on HP form.

Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation