Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Get help with Large Format Printers, with direct access to all Large Format Knowledge Center· Ask anything · Find anything · Share anything at HP LKC
HP Recommended
HP Color Laserjet Enterprise CM4540 MFP

I have a customer with a Color Laserjet CM4540 that will not print black but color prints just fine.

The black cartridge was recently replaced but I checked it in another slot by disabling cartridge check.

I have checked the HV contacts to the toner and also the laser scanner cover.  Everything looks good.

I replaced the HV power supply and scanner assy.  Still have the same issue. Engine test just has color unless I block the contact on the cartridge then I get a black page with color lines going through it.

Anyone else have this issue?  The other case I saw in the forum, the person gave up and called a tech in to fix it and never said what they found.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

After looking ove another post, I looked at the front ground connection to the toner and found that the front toner lift lever was broken.  P/N: RC2-3983  This part sits behind the cover that is just above the toner cartridges.

It was not easily seen but a simple repair.  After further inspection, I also found another one was cracked. So I replaced both of them while I had it apart.

I hope this helps out other people with a similar problem.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

After looking ove another post, I looked at the front ground connection to the toner and found that the front toner lift lever was broken.  P/N: RC2-3983  This part sits behind the cover that is just above the toner cartridges.

It was not easily seen but a simple repair.  After further inspection, I also found another one was cracked. So I replaced both of them while I had it apart.

I hope this helps out other people with a similar problem.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.