cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Get help with Large Format Printers, with direct access to all Latex Knowledge Center · Ask anything · Find anything · Share anything at HP LKC
MB009
Level 1
10 8 0 0
Message 1 of 11
Flag Post

Stupendously non-existent support for a $6,000 wide format printer

HP Recommended
DesignJet T930
macOS 10.12 Sierra

I am now in my fifth week of having received a DesignJet 930 and not being able to print in landscape mode (from our iMacs, Sierra OS, using any of our graphic applications like Autocad or Adobe).

A technician came to our office on two different occasions. And I have spent two full afternoons on the phone with support. And I have exchanged numerous emails. No result. Just repetitive trouble-shooting steps., from hardware focused, to software, to changing paper type. But I still have a $6000 behemoth in my office that does not print in landscape format from any computer and application.

I have been told that my case is escalated about 1/2 a dozen times ( at this point, I expect the CEO to call me). But after the promise of escalation nothing happens. Lots of apologies and 'sir, I am personally going to escalate this'.

This has been so frustrating that I requested by phone and email for instructions to return the printer. But HP is not honoring their own policy of accepting returns -- I keep getting stonewalled with no reply.

[post edited] Or FIX IT IMMEDIATELY> not next week, but today. IT HAS BEEN FIVE WEEKS ALREADY. If you can't fix it, take it back.

10 REPLIES 10
danny-r
Retired
Retired
8,250 6,188 144 481
Message 2 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@MB009

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum.

I work on behalf of HP
Was this reply helpful? Yes No
MB009
Author
Level 1
10 8 0 0
Message 3 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You are now the second person -- just today-- who has said to me that this issue is brought to the attention of higher ups.

Last week, I was promised Level 2 team support, and then Quality Case Manager support. Both of which didn't lead to anything.... not even an email.

MB009
Author
Level 1
10 8 0 0
Message 4 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Srill waiting for any kind of reply or return. Instructions.
IronBadger
Level 9
Level 9
860 828 78 283
Message 5 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I think the issue issue you are running into may be application dependent.  The large format arena is different than standard office printing.

With the LFP devices laying a document out on roll feed paper can be tricky.  To assist with this HP created a PDF workflow called HP Print Preview.  The problem is that Adobe apps do not play friendly with PDF workflows.  You always get an error when selecting a workflow.

Depending on what you are trying to print you can save the document to a PDF and then opening it in Preview.

Then when you select print there will be a PDF menu on the bottom left of the print window.  Select this and choose HP Print Preview.

Screen Shot 2018-05-08 at 4.20.26 PM.png

From here you can manually control all the aspects of the layout on the roll media.

Screen Shot 2018-05-08 at 4.21.14 PM.png

It's been a while since I worked with LFP devices so I am unsure if there is a another way to get around the Adobe limitations.

While I may work for HP Inc, the views and opinions expressed here are my own.
MB009
Author
Level 1
10 8 0 0
Message 6 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

IronBadger,

Thank you, your suggestion comes closest to a work-around that we discovered today. Essentially, you are correct (I wish HP had said this prior to the sale of this printer) that this printer does not work well with Adobe.

We found that we can print from Autocad and Preview, because both use a Mac print dialogue window that has an option buried deep down called 'Finishing'. Within this option there's a second 'autorotate' option that works and fixes the orientation.

Screenshot 2018-05-08 13.00.58.png

Now, our issue is that between our offices we rely on PDF exchanges, and find it more consistent when we all print from Acrobat. I have reached out to HP and Adobe to find out what setting the 'Finishing' option triggers in the printer? If that is known, we could figure out how to adjust Adobe to play well.

In regards to your particular suggestion of using HP Preview, I tried, this is what I get:

Screenshot 2018-05-08 18.40.55.png

is there a way to A) resolve past this error message and B) get to this preview from within Acrobat?

Many thanks for your suggestions.

MB009
Author
Level 1
10 8 0 0
Message 7 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Still waiting to hear from ‘the appropriate’ team. 

MB009
Author
Level 1
10 8 0 0
Message 8 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Does HP Support have a process where someone will see a problem through full resolution?

Do you trouble shooting complete resolution?

Can we pay for service?

IronBadger
Level 9
Level 9
860 828 78 283
Message 9 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You should still see the same Finishing options in Acrobat and be able to use those.  The Printer specific stuff is located under the "Printer..." button in the print dialog box.  I had completely spaced they were there.  Again, been a while.

The error about AirPrint tells me that you may have multiple print queues set up tothe printer on your Mac.  One with the AirPrint driver (which would not give you those finishing options) and one with the HP Driver (which would give you the finishing options).

I would recommend opening Printers & Scanners in System Preferences and deleting the existing print queue(s).  Then add a new queue and make sure that you select the HP specific driver and not the AirPrint driver when you set up the queue.

Then you should still see those Finishing options in Acrobat.

As for support...all I could do is try to arrange a call back for you from a support agent.  You can Private Message me your case number if you would like me to follow up.

While I may work for HP Inc, the views and opinions expressed here are my own.
MB009
Author
Level 1
10 8 0 0
Message 10 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you for the follow up. You have provided much more helpful info than all HP-based tech support so far.

I am not in the office til Monday (and since I have been dealing with this issue from the start, I would rather continue than ask others in the office).

I will try on Monday and get back.

Thanks!

Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation