cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Get help with Large Format Printers, with direct access to all Latex Knowledge Center · Ask anything · Find anything · Share anything at HP LKC
D Hook
Level 7
874 821 36 101
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

T1200PS Skipping on paper advance (Solution)

HP Recommended
Designjet T1200PS
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Ran into a problem I had never seen before.

We use a T1200PS 44" printer where I work that began skipping on the paper advance.  Not banding.  Skipping.  Like the paper was advancing too far.  So line drawings had 1/32" gaps in the line every 3 1/2" or so.  No missing ink.  The paper was advancing too far, causing the gaps in the lines.

Had the local HP techs out to look at it and $1100 later, they still couldn't find the problem.  We were going to get rid of it and buy a used one but I was asked to take a look at it.

All it needed was to have the encoder disc cleaned.  Used a moistened (water) paper towel and held it on the disc in such a way that reached both sides of the disc and then started a print so the disc would rotate.  After a couple rotations of cleaning, the problem went away.

Posting this up here in case anyone else has the same issue with a printer.

Lesson:  Check the easy (cheap) stuff first before throwing parts at it.

3 REPLIES 3
Valsimot
Level 12
Level 12
6,326 6,309 751 1,058
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

This isn't something new, but it is good to know.

The problem with dirty encoder disk is known for ages on designjets 500/800 even on older deskjets, shame for HP tech for charging 1100$ for nothing.

Even several posts on this forum with a solution for cleaning encoder disc that fixed an issue.

My profile on LinkedIn

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
D Hook
Author
Level 7
874 821 36 101
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

They said they replaced the encoder disc so I looked past that.  My mistake was not looking at the simple stuff first.

When I first cleaned it and it started working again, my first thought was, "it can't be THAT simple!" but it was.

Not familiar with the 500/800 encoder disc issue.  I have one of each and (so far) haven't run into a problem.  But now that you've mentioned it I'll keep an eye on them.

Thanks!

rasheddul
Level 7
634 609 35 85
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

At first calibrated the paper advance then, Please try to using 100gsm roll paper with best mode print quality, then let's check.

I hope problem will solved.

Regards/Rashed
https://www.linkedin.com/in/rasheddul
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation