Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Get help with Large Format Printers, with direct access to all Large Format Knowledge Center· Ask anything · Find anything · Share anything at HP LKC
HP Recommended
HP Designjet Z6100
macOS 10.13 High Sierra

I don't actually know what large format printer is being used where I'm getting these prints done, but we have the DesignJet here. Just wanted to throw this out there and see if I can find out what's causing it. The vendor says it's gradient banding. I disagree. The "banding" does not follow the gradient or pattern at all. The wavy lines are spaced about 2.5" apart from each other. The file is a vector file, true, but again, the wavy lines don't follow the design or gradient at all. What is it and how can it be remedied? Is it something with the way the output device is RIPping the file?These lines are vertical to the printThese lines are vertical to the print

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

here is my printout & you be the judge..

printed  with Z3100  on satin paperprinted with Z3100 on satin paper

more blue areasmore blue areas

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

You should do a printhead alignment & see what happen .

might has a bad printhead or air in inktube....

also pick best   in print quality...

post resultafter you did above...

good luck

HP Recommended

Thanks! However, this is not MY printer, but a vendor's printer who argues that it's my file. I'll pass the info along, though, and hope they try it and are able to send me a decent print!

So you agree that it's NOT a gradient banding issue? The waves don't follow the gradient in any way.

Thanks again!

HP Recommended

Show your original as proof to the vendor. if print out not match same & they need to take responsible....

if your original has no banding or gradience  ,    then you pointed those areas to them & shut their mouths..

but if your original was small & print out was much, much larger...   then you must carefully check your original details...

HP Recommended

Original was actual size - no banding. It was all vector. There were no wavy lines like the picture in the file at all. They insist it's a banding issue, but banding follows the gradient pattern. These wavy lines follow NOTHING. They're just THERE and not in my original art.

HP Recommended

Can you convert your original in some other format and ask for another print? 

My profile on LinkedIn

HP Recommended

I'm sure I can - they printed it twice and it came out the same both times. By the way, the white areas you see are not light reflections, they are clouds. The cling is for a door and it has a blue sky background with clouds, which is why I still don't understand the wavy lines in the places they show. I'm wondering if it's a RIP problem. If I print a piece of this same file on my Xerox, the wavy lines are NOT there, and I don't even have any banding. Duh! It just clicked that I should try to print maybe a 6 inch piece of this on our HP large format on plain paper and see if the wavy lines are there. If they are NOT, then it's safe to say it's on THEIR end. I don't know what device they're using, but it's not an older piece of equipment, I'm sure of that.

HP Recommended

e mail me the original image to      jasonmiamifl          at yahoo  ..

My Z3100 printer has glossy photo paper loaded  & would like to print it out & compare.

HP Recommended

here is my printout & you be the judge..

printed  with Z3100  on satin paperprinted with Z3100 on satin paper

more blue areasmore blue areas

HP Recommended

Perfect! I KNEW it! Thank you for doing this!!!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.