Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Get help with Large Format Printers, with direct access to all Large Format Knowledge Center· Ask anything · Find anything · Share anything at HP LKC
HP Recommended
Designjet 800 42
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I replaced the printheads with brand new replacements.  The printer will not accept the new heads.  Gives me an x and tells me to replace all 4.  When i put the old heads back in it takes them but gives me a notice on the black printhead that it has poor print quality.  How do i get it to accept the new printheads?  yes they are the correct heads,  the part numbers match exact.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

HP is having issues with new printheads. I have found that any new printhead expirations dated from April 04132020-04042020 through May 2020 with lot numbers on the printheads ranging from 349163-354943 will not work, in some random machines the printheads will work with no explanation on why they will work in some machines and not others. If you go to the ink menu and select information scroll to printheads select black, you will see the error 0034. This is a defective/faulty printhead I did the test with brand new printheads right out of the box with 2 different design jet 500 machines. One brand new black printhead worked in one machine but failed in the other machine. The solution that I have found to fix this issue temporarily until HP fixes the issue with the new printheads. Use printheads that are out of warranty expired dates ranging from 1/2006 thru 12/2017. These have been tested here in my office and work perfectly fine. You can find these heads on eBay. Please hit the kudos button if you feel that I have resolved your issue. 

Thanks, 

Richard

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

HP is having issues with new printheads. I have found that any new printhead expirations dated from April 04132020-04042020 through May 2020 with lot numbers on the printheads ranging from 349163-354943 will not work, in some random machines the printheads will work with no explanation on why they will work in some machines and not others. If you go to the ink menu and select information scroll to printheads select black, you will see the error 0034. This is a defective/faulty printhead I did the test with brand new printheads right out of the box with 2 different design jet 500 machines. One brand new black printhead worked in one machine but failed in the other machine. The solution that I have found to fix this issue temporarily until HP fixes the issue with the new printheads. Use printheads that are out of warranty expired dates ranging from 1/2006 thru 12/2017. These have been tested here in my office and work perfectly fine. You can find these heads on eBay. Please hit the kudos button if you feel that I have resolved your issue. 

Thanks, 

Richard

HP Recommended

HP is developing new firmware that prevents the error. Bookmark this page and check back often for more information. http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c06098737. When the firmware is published, the document will be updated.

I am an HP Employee
HP Recommended

When I contacted HP, they had NO CLUE OR A SOLUTION!!! I informed tech support that the Brand New heads out of the box didn't work also I informed that it could be a firmware issue with the new chips on the printheads from the different supplier HP is using. The solution to this issue came from my knowledge of these machines. I have been working with HP products since the early 90's. If you read my message it will explain the research I did in 48 hours to get an understanding what was happening.

Your support page does nothing at this time except that HP has to honor all replacement print heads under warranty.

HP Recommended

I have a designjet 500 and have replaced the black print head. The printer does not recognise the new print head. After looking on forums it suggested that the firmware is updated, which I have done, but this still does not work. I have check the print settings to verify the update was successful which it was. Any ideas?

HP Recommended

Hello,

What version firmware is on the machine currently? If the version is A04.02 you need to access hp's website and download the new utility with the new firmware of A05.03. Also please check and make sure the protective film is removed from the new printhead before installing in to the carriage assembly. Please make sure the Flex pads are clean prior to installing any new printhead into the carriage. If all of this is updated with new firmware and the other procedures I have provided and nothing has worked, my suggestion will be to replace the carriage assembly and trailing cable as a set. Make sure the trailing cable pins are not bent and all is connected to both the carriage pca and the main pca. If you are continuing to have issues with this machine please contact me directly at RGJGJR1967@Yahoo.com.

Thanks,

Richard

HP Recommended

Hi,

thanks for getting back to me, much appreciated.

firmware version is A05.01

do you have link to latest version?

many thanks

Colin

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.