Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Get help with Large Format Printers, with direct access to all Large Format Knowledge Center· Ask anything · Find anything · Share anything at HP LKC
HP Recommended
Designjet z2100
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

Yellow is printing orange.

I recallibrated the paper, and then made a new ICC profile for the paper.

This reduced the orange, a bit, but...

On the calibration chart, the thin yellow rectangle at the top of the chart is orange, and not yellow as on all my other calibration printouts.

So it looks like the yellow ink has turnd orange, is this possable? or is the print head mixing some Magenta in because it is faulty?

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Print a Nozzle Test pattern, if the yellow is orange then you have cross contamination in the Printhead and it might be purgeable, but you would have to print a lot of yellow.

Cross contamination happens when some ink oozes out of one printhead and is wicked up into another color.

Your Yellow Printhead is in the same package as the Magenta printhead so if the Magenta oozed a bit then it could easily get into the yellow nozzles.

I had this happen in a DeskJet years ago and printed many pages of "Pumpkin" before I had the printhead purged.

You can do a "Blot Test"

Remove the Y/M Printhead and blot it on a dry paper towel, if you don't get ink then try a damp paper towel.

The line of yellow will be the color in the printhead, if it's orangish then you definitely have a cross contamination isue, (or a slim chance of discolored ink in the cartridge/lines).

To check the ink in the lines you use a syringe with the right size metal tip, you insert it into the ink supply fitting in the carriage and draw some ink into the syringe.

Bottom line, replacing the Y/M printhead will probably resolve the issue.

If my post resolves your issue please click the accepted as solution button under it.

To thank a Tech for a post click the thumbs up button under the post.

You can even click both buttons. . .

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

OEM inks or 3rd party? If you remove the printhead and look at the slots you should be able to see if the magenta is leaking at all. Your driver could be corrupt, you might want to uninstall driver and do clean install.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

Print a Nozzle Test pattern, if the yellow is orange then you have cross contamination in the Printhead and it might be purgeable, but you would have to print a lot of yellow.

Cross contamination happens when some ink oozes out of one printhead and is wicked up into another color.

Your Yellow Printhead is in the same package as the Magenta printhead so if the Magenta oozed a bit then it could easily get into the yellow nozzles.

I had this happen in a DeskJet years ago and printed many pages of "Pumpkin" before I had the printhead purged.

You can do a "Blot Test"

Remove the Y/M Printhead and blot it on a dry paper towel, if you don't get ink then try a damp paper towel.

The line of yellow will be the color in the printhead, if it's orangish then you definitely have a cross contamination isue, (or a slim chance of discolored ink in the cartridge/lines).

To check the ink in the lines you use a syringe with the right size metal tip, you insert it into the ink supply fitting in the carriage and draw some ink into the syringe.

Bottom line, replacing the Y/M printhead will probably resolve the issue.

If my post resolves your issue please click the accepted as solution button under it.

To thank a Tech for a post click the thumbs up button under the post.

You can even click both buttons. . .
HP Recommended

Hi SH,

Yes, that all sound very reasonable.

I will do a nozel print, and probably go with buying a new print head.

Thanks, Ian

HP Recommended

I printed an A1 sheet of plain paper with the yellow ink, and that seems to have cleared the problem.

Thanks.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.