cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Get help with Large Format Printers, with direct access to all Latex Knowledge Center · Ask anything · Find anything · Share anything at HP LKC
wittinj
Level 1
7 6 0 0
Message 1 of 18
Flag Post

Z2100 freezes at 54% initializing

HP Recommended
Designjet Z2100

I recently purchased an old Z2100 printer and have been trying to get it up and running. It was in a rough state when I got it, and I have done some major repairs such as replacing the belt.

I am at the point where I am seeing something I have not found any solutions for and was hoping people could help.

The printer was working great, had it booting and ran firmware upgrades.

Now, when I power it on, it says initializing, gets to 54%, and then just sits there. I have left it powered on overnight, and it never seems to get past that point. No error messages or anything, just sitting with the bar at 54%.

A few things I have seen online that I have tried, with no success.

- From cold power-off, hold OK and up, switch power on, and it should boot into factory setup mode. Didnt work.

- Try removing all of the ink cartridges and powering up. Same thing.

- Just let it sit for a while. Gave up after having it stuck there for a day and powered it off.

I am worried it would be the hard drive, as it is making a bit of a clunk sound when it gets to 54%, but it has run an fsck during initialization, with no errors.

Any help? Any way to narrow down what is causing it to fail?

Thanks

17 REPLIES 17
davidzuts
Level 13
7,130 7,062 558 1,025
Message 2 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Remove all media, ink tanks and printheads and turn on and see how much further you get.

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
wittinj
Author
Level 1
7 6 0 0
Message 3 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Removed the paper roll, ink tanks, and print heads, did not seem to change anything. Still stuck at 54%.

Roy_Kuzmich
Level 6
217 187 21 32
Message 4 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

I think this model has 3 LED's that are on the Formatter (where the network connection would be).

What are the I II III  LED's on the formatter reading (on, off, or flashing)?

This might give further indicstion as to the issue.

also, did you try just lifting out and reseating the Formatter?

Regards,

Roy K

wittinj
Author
Level 1
7 6 0 0
Message 5 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I will have to take a look and see what LEDs you are talking about.

You mention that they would be where the network connection would be, but the formatter I have does have both a network and a USB port, so may be different than the one you are talking about.

I have tried removing and reseating the formatter several times, with no luck.

D Hook
Level 7
874 821 36 101
Message 6 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I had a z2100 once that kept freezing on bootup.  I unplugged and replugged the cable to the front panel and it solved it.  Not sure that will help with yours but it's worth a try.  This was after trying reseating the formatter.  I don't recall where I got that tip from.

wittinj
Author
Level 1
7 6 0 0
Message 7 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have tried reseating the cable on the back of the display and it didnt seem to help. I also tried hitting the little reset button on the bottom of the display, but that didnt seem to do anything. Reset the percent to 0, which it never seemed to go up from.

I didnt let it sit for long after hitting the reset button, so maybe thats worth a try. I could also trace the display cable back to wherever it attaches to the mainboard, and reseat it there. Not high hopes on that, but will give it a shot.

Jorge70
Level 4
101 101 6 13
Message 8 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Let me s question.
When you power off the printer. Do. you unplugged de power cable for a few day.? And when you power on again the printer did fsck initialization? If yes the formatter battery is bad. Replace it. And let me know whats happens now.
wittinj
Author
Level 1
7 6 0 0
Message 9 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Actually, I did notice that every time I went to reseat the formatter it needed to do an fsck, and I did replace the battery. Now it doesnt do an fsck every time I turn the printer back on, but it is still stopping at 54%.

davidzuts
Level 13
7,130 7,062 558 1,025
Message 10 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The one thing you have tried without success should be tried again and again since it is the only way you are going to find out what component in the plotter is causing the issue. If it gets to 54% it should be able to get into the service test menu. Attached is the page from the service manual which gives you instructions on how to enter this mode. Keep in mind you have to had turned off the plotter using the switch on the front panel or the procedure will not work. If you can not turn off the plotter from the front panel when at 54%, then turn off in the rear, turn on and when it starts to initialize press and hold the power switch on the control panel until the power goes off and then try the procedure. Once into the service tests menu perform all the tests to see which one(s) fail to get an indication of what is wrong.

Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation