cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Get help with Large Format Printers, with direct access to all Latex Knowledge Center · Ask anything · Find anything · Share anything at HP LKC
JetDC
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

Z3100ps GP 44" plotter - new ink cartridges are "empty"

HP Recommended
Z3100ps GP

Hello,

We have tried 3 different brand new, in box, gray HP 70 ink cartridges for our printer and it keeps rejecting them as empty.  One was a 2015 so we thought maybe it was really rejecting it because it was expired so we bought a new ink cartridge from HP's online store and it had a 2020 expiration date.  It also rejected it as empty so after talking to customer service they said maybe it was a bad cartridge and we sent it back and they sent a new one. 

I placed the new one in (also a 2020 expiration date) and it initially accepted it.  However when I told it to print, it tried to prime the system and pull ink in, when it did that it decided it didn't like the new cartridge anymore and it declared it empty.  I had it hooked up to the desktop (Windows XP I think.. it's our older business computer that has photoshop on it) and it stated that the printer was telling it through the utility program that the cartridge was expired and empty.  Neither of which are true. 

I am not sure if we have had a couple bad cartridges in a row or if the plotter is not performing correctly.  We recently after a lot of headaches and after over $2000 got it running again since it was stuck constantly at either 0% or 17% initialization. 

(For anyone who sees this and had a similar problem the HD on the formatter board was corrupted so it couldn't finish booting... took forever to find that one out.  Replaced both the formatter board and HD together and it fixed that so no more problems with booting and not running).

The new board and HD have version Firmware Rev. TR12_MVL_7.0.0.3 installed on it.  The plotter has access to the internet via ethernet cable.

We bought the plotter brand new years ago and didn't ever have problems with it until the belt blew up a couple years ago, which then started the chain reaction of problems.

I have tried to include as much info as possible.  I would really, really love some help on getting this fixed.

Thank you!

Resized_20180504_213011.jpgResized_20180504_213026.jpgResized_20180504_212948.jpgResized_20180504_212955.jpgResized_20180504_213002.jpg  edited to add photos

Tags (1)
3 REPLIES 3
jasonmiamifl
Level 7
880 810 37 84
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

swap out the new bottom part of ink with the old ink's bottom part, might work ...woth to try if nothing work.

Also your inktube might have air.. (   if yes, use an injector to suck out the bubles )

I seen this problem  frequently... do not know why.

I even do the same for  colors, g to lg, pk to mk, c to lc, m to lm etc etc, whenever  I did not have that ink.... working good & I have been doing it frequently.  for myself only not recommended for anyone....

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
cyun
Level 3
Level 3
54 54 1 7
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

My recommendation for you is, since the ink supplies are new and from the label it still valid for warranty, you may just contact back to HP to get the inks replaced, and help you to diagnose whether the problem came from printer, repeated problem might be due to printer but not the inks. For those ink supplies which had been inserted to printer and it might be already marked as "Expired", in this case, it will never be accepted by printer anymore, the only way is to replace it from HP.

Hope my recommendation is helpful to you.

Although I am HP Employee
I am speaking for myself and not for HP

Please click the Thumbs up icon below to say “Thanks” for helping! .
If my post help resolve your issue, please mark as "RESOLVED"
jasonmiamifl
Level 7
880 810 37 84
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Whenever I talked to HP tech support , even the sale department  & always fed up & hang up. Those only know read service manual to answer your question.

When I printing  & if ink / printhead problems, I must solved the problems  as quick as possible by any way I could find.

My friend just called me & told me that he found the reason why   " ink empty, even brand new ".   the oval rubber piece

at the middle bottom not contacted properly & told to use a tiny plastic & tape it... I said at this moment I don't have that problem, next time if it coming up & will try.

Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation