cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Get help with Large Format Printers, with direct access to all Latex Knowledge Center · Ask anything · Find anything · Share anything at HP LKC
cdannenberg
5 4 0 0
Message 1 of 10
Flag Post

Z3200 fades out

HP Recommended
DesignJet Z3200
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

We can print test pages fine/have cleaned printheads, all inks are mostly full, but for large jobs after about the fourth foot a color will fade out slowly to a muted grayscale. We immediately ran another printhead check- just fine, small jobs run okay. but we need to print something several feet  and it's frustrating and wasteful.

9 REPLIES 9
jasonmiamifl
Level 7
880 810 37 84
Message 2 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

might has air in inktube or defective printhead.

print out a diagnostic page & check all colors. you know right away. 

Now everytime I had color problems & print the diagnostic page first... quite accurate & quick.

Printer will notify you... unless completely dead or serious.

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
cdannenberg
Author
5 4 0 0
Message 3 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

On the printhead test the MK-R printhead is not printing Red at all- this printhead was replaced a couple weeks ago after it was previously having trouble. Would this indicate a bubble and how is that resolved?

jasonmiamifl
Level 7
880 810 37 84
Message 4 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

no doubt, you have printhead problem & need to be replace..

cdannenberg
Author
5 4 0 0
Message 5 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

We got a couple new sets of printheads in the mail, installed the Matte Black/Red (Red was previously missing) it is unable to detect the printhead and askes for the new one to be replaced. Removed it and replaced it several times with the same outcome, put the only one back in and it happily accepts it (It cannot print Red with it though) Put the new one back in. (same result of asking for it to be replaced. Removed all the printheads cleaning all the contacts on both the printer side and the printhead- Same result of not detecting the printhead. Put in a second new MK/R printhead with the same result of asking for a new one. Restarted several times in there too... gave it the old one back and it continues to detect it but not the other two new ones.

jasonmiamifl
Level 7
880 810 37 84
Message 6 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I seen this problem many times before & kept saying to replace printhead, even with brand new one. The printer even

not even check the printhead & made no sound or movement.

Try to use an inkjector/syringe? to draw out the red ink  ( might has tiny bubbles ), might try to turn on & off. TThen finally

you might hear the printer make some sounds checking printheads & start ink system preparations.

I have most problems with mk/r ,   m/y printheads & must be very careful to the colors.

Myself having 86:01,  79:04 with 1 Z3200, 1 Z3100 44" printers & could not figure out the solutions...

cdannenberg
Author
5 4 0 0
Message 7 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Update to post, I had sent a letter to HP, and got a response back with a number to call. Tech support had me turn it off, hold down the Up Arrow and the OK buttons while turning it on, and keeping them down until it booted into the diagnostic screen, and from there we ran self tests on each subsystem. It failed several so no matter how much I would have messed with the ink we would have always had a problem- so I'd always recommend doing this to get an idea of what is wrong. Fortunately the printer is under warranty until July, I'm glad it didn't wait any longer to  do this.

jasonmiamifl
Level 7
880 810 37 84
Message 8 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

if your printer is under warranty... let HP take care this problem.....

Be aware, it will happen any moment..... after warranty expired, then you will see how nice HP were.

cdannenberg
Author
5 4 0 0
Message 9 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I hate to fault them too greatly for not supporting out of warrany hardware, but yeah- I bet they don't take your call at that point.

jasonmiamifl
Level 7
880 810 37 84
Message 10 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I realized it many years ago when my new DJ500 42" belt went & so hard to get help & costed a lot of replace, that

was the reason I started to learn how to change belt, took care problems...

You should follow as well... how to replace your belt, take care of minor printheads, inks & other errors, you will

save bunch money & headaches for the length you use your printer.

Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation