cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Get help with Large Format Printers, with direct access to all Latex Knowledge Center · Ask anything · Find anything · Share anything at HP LKC
pr0phacy
4 3 0 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post

Z5200 Light Gray not printing

HP Recommended
Z5200
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

The light gray will not print on the z5200, only a year and half old.

Prior to it not printing, the printer was acting up and will return the New LG cartridge as empty but will show as normal after a restart, this problem persists.

Print diagnostic print out, the LG block will hardly have any ink on it currently cept for a few lines, gaps get progressively worse as print goes on. (see photo)

Color calibration also shows almost no LG ink being put down. (see photo)

Ran the printhead cleaning a few times before but seems like problem gets worse.

lgdiag.pnglgdiag2.png

Any help would be appreciated.

-Bo

5 REPLIES 5
pr0phacy
Author
4 3 0 0
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Update on problem:

Printer will now report cartridges as normal instead of empty when reinserted without need to restart.

Tried to print diagnostic image after leaving the printer overnight and the image printed correctly with the light gray, but after printing another image, the LG fades out as if the printing is not getting fed ink correctly. After reinserting the cart and pushing on the soft part of the cartridge underside, the printhead seems to be getting some ink again as diagnostic image seemed better than before (before did not print any LG at all).

Suspect problem with the ISS but no idea how to diagnose accurately plus the spring loaded "button" in the ink cart tray seems to have identical tension as functioning neighbors.

Any help is appreciated.

-Bo

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
D Hook
Level 7
877 824 36 101
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You may have to pull off the covers and find the ink supply tubes.  See if there's air in the LG tubing.  It's pretty easy to see if there is.  If you don't see air in the tubes than you might just have a bad printhead.  If you see air bubbles or gaps in the ink supply in the tubes, you probably have a bad seal at the cartridge.

You might want to go online and find a service manual for that model.  Google Designjet z5200 and it should come up.

pr0phacy
Author
4 3 0 0
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you for the reply

I've followed your advice and found the service manual and have taken off the top cover in order to access the ink tubes to examine them, there does not appear to be any air bubbles inside the lines, at least the section that I can see.

I've since tried to print a diagnostic image and the Light Gray block is simply blank, with no ink.

A new printhead has been ordered and I'll try that and post the results.

-Bo

pr0phacy
Author
4 3 0 0
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The new printhead worked and light gray is printing without faults. However... After a few month now I'm experiencing issues with banding on the Light Magenta color...

Does anyone know the average lifespan of these printer heads?

kspl
Level 3
64 35 4 5
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

My HP70 printheads in my Z3200 last a good long while-- at least a year, some I've never changed in the 3 years I've had the machine.  

I also buy expired printheads (as well as ink) off eBay for a fraction of what they cost retail.  Never had a problem, which seems to be the general concensus of those I've talked to about the practice- including an HP certified tech.  

Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation