cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Get help with Large Format Printers, with direct access to all Latex Knowledge Center · Ask anything · Find anything · Share anything at HP LKC
D Hook
Level 7
874 821 36 101
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

Z6100PS Carriage thing--What is it?

HP Recommended
Desingjet 6100PS 42
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Was looking at a friends Z6100PS yesterday to determine why it wouldn't accept the new maintanence cartridge and found a little T-shaped handle on the Left side of the carriage as your facing the machine.  When you pull on it, it slides out but not all the way out .  It reminds me of the lens covers on the 5000 series printers.  Anyone know what this might be?

Also, the machine sees very heavy use and has very heavy overspray of ink on the carriage, to the point it's hard to see the color indicators on the printhead slots.  They print a lot of industriaI materials requiring full saturation of the paper and I THINK the bottom of the carriage might be so heavily soiled the sensor can't see the white mark on the Maintanence cartridge to accept it and keeps asking to insert the cartridge.  (Keep getting an error saying it's missing.)  I cannot see any light at all hitting paper when the carriage runs left to right and seems that's unusual so it may be the light is either blocked or just not working.  I've worked on this printer before to change the belt a couple years ago and I don't think it's been touched since.  Not sure if I should see a light or not.

Also, when changing the cartridge, the manual says to go through the actions of changing a printhead since it will then ask for the cartridge to be changed.  Tried that but it gave error that said something like "printhead change not available at this time" or words to that effect.  The only thing the machine will let you do is change the Maintanence cartridge.  I didn't have time to do any diagnostic testing yet.

Any opinions?

Thanks!!!

3 REPLIES 3
D Hook
Author
Level 7
874 821 36 101
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Found it.  Looks like this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Color-sensor-ESP-HP-DesignJet-Z5200-Z3100-Z6100-Z6200-T7100-Z3200-PS-Q6651-...

Just wondered what the little pull-out T handle is for.

The owner has agreed to bring the printer to my place to work on it.  Needs heavy cleanup and diagnostics run.

Any opinions on why it won't recognize the maintanence cartridge?

I've seen a couple posts on the board here saying the hard drive needs to be replaced but not sure why the HD would cause this error.  May do it anyway, just to be sure.  Ebay has them brand new for little money.

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
JackB44
Level 3
60 60 1 14
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

That "toy" is Spectrophotometer (you know, for measuring color, making color profiles).

You should check Line Encoder on opposite side of carraige, line encoder... I wish you luck!

D Hook
Author
Level 7
874 821 36 101
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks Jack!  Finally figured it out with the help of the service manual.  Thanks for confirming.

I'll have to look up the line encoder you spoke of.  Pretty sure that's what's causing the problem with recognizing the cartridge.

Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation