Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Get help with Large Format Printers, with direct access to all Large Format Knowledge Center· Ask anything · Find anything · Share anything at HP LKC
HP Recommended

This morning, I went in and chose "clean encoder" from the ink submenu and followed the instructions. Cleaned the entire strip carefully with a damp cloth. I got a little ink on the cloth, but mostly dust. I also inspected the strip for any deformities and didn't see any bends or scratches, and I was sure to pay special attention to the left side of the encoder strip.

I tried to load 60" media again and received the same "paper too big" error.

HP Recommended

I have afeeling you might need to look into more calibrations and diagnostice  sensor test.

Hope you keep your friend away from you printer forever, sound liek a horror story. 

Best to down load the service manual and

see tests:

Electronics Module

Scan Axis Test

Carriage Assembly

Line Sensor Calibration

sensors.

i can imaging the belt had a hard knock, so maybe di teh same setting/test as if you were replacing a belt.

ps. im not an expert, just had my share of problems.

HP Recommended

First, thanks for the response.

So, I did download the service manual (2010 version was the only one I could find, perhaps there's a newer one?), but the "diagnostic boot" doesn't work on my Z6200. With the printer powered down, I hold the "down" and "cancel" buttons, and then press and hold the power button waiting for the beep (manual says about 5 seconds), but the printer just turns itself off. Because of this, I can't get into the scan axis calibration, etc...

The full service menu (pressing down and cancel while in the menu tree) allows me to do other tests. The line sensor passes when I use the recommended 24" glossy media. It was previously giving "55:11" until I did what @davidzuts suggested higher in this thread.

I will look at the belt replacement procedures and see what tests coorespond with that and run them.

Again, thanks a ton for your time and suggestions.

HP Recommended

Hi Creepy (so weird saying that),

To get in to the diagnostic menu try just pushing and releasing the power button while holding the other 2 as suggested.

Then run the scan axis and service station diagnostics as well as any others you deem necessary.

Just a thought, is this a new roll of 60" - have you measured it to confirm it's 60" - I' ve seen it .

Roy K

HP Recommended

Roy,

Thanks for your input.

First:
Any button press of "up, cancel, and power" and "down, cancel, and power" or "up (or down), cancel, and just a quick press of power never did a diagnostic boot (which are the instructions in the service manual). I decided to "what the heck" and try holding "ok and down" and tap the power button, and VOILA! It booted in diag mode.

I ran the scan axis test and the carraige test. After the forced reboot after the carraige test, I tried loading the 60" paper to complete the printhead alignment and got the "paper too big" error again. I loaded some 24" glossy, completed the printhead alignment, and began to really wonder if your third point might be valid.

Buying genuine HP paper means that I should trust that 60" is ACTUALLY 60", but a quick run with the tape measure confirmed that I need to start having trust issues. The paper is, in fact, 60.25"  :indifferent:

I have five other rolls of various "60 inch" media that are still in the box, so I'm going to break each one of those out and measure. If one is actually 60", I will try to load it and post my results. If everything goes smoothly, I will mark this as resolved.

Thanks again.

HP Recommended

Sure enough.

I loaded a roll of HP Geniune 60" (verified with a tape measure) ID semi-gloss and everything works.

I kind of feel like an idiot for not checking the obvious, but then again, I expected a quality product from HP when I ordered this paper.

Lesson learned, problem solved. And, I learned a TON about this printer.

Thanks to everyone that offered assistance, I greatly appreciate it.

-Tyler

HP Recommended

Gotta love happy endings!

I don't work for HP....I just repair their printers.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.