cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Get help with Large Format Printers, with direct access to all Latex Knowledge Center · Ask anything · Find anything · Share anything at HP LKC
hriosm
Level 3
42 24 2 0
Message 1 of 9
Flag Post

designjet T770 new formatter

HP Recommended
designjet t770

Hello people,

I´m trying to install a new formatter but don´t find the procedure to set it up. My plotter was showing big empty bands while printing, bought a new refurbished formatter and when inserted, the plotter does not advance beyond "Initializing.." message. Left it for more than half hour and stays like that.

Could you help me?

Regards

8 REPLIES 8
JackB44
Level 3
60 60 1 14
Message 2 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

What "Refubrished" means?

In printer you can put only new formatter, it will lock itself to printer (serial number) and work. If you put in  formatter used in another printer (regardless it is good one) it will not work.

When you replaced formatter you should use HDD from old formatter you took out from printer.

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
hriosm
Author
Level 3
42 24 2 0
Message 3 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I bought the card with not HDD from Ebay as refurbished. I suppose it is a repaired card coming from some other plotter. I connected the HDD from my failing formatter. I don´t know if this should work or not. Not sure what it means  "it will lock itself to printer ". You mean the formatter card or the HDD locks?

Regards

JackB44
Level 3
60 60 1 14
Message 4 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Instead of linking to another post I will quote myself:

"What I know is that on formatter, HDD, display, actually looks like all electronic boards, there is stored sort of  Part Number and Serial Number information of printer in which they work. So, if you take working formatter from one printer and put it in another it will not work (because this information is different). If you put it back it will work. (this happened to me on T1100 eight years ago, so I conclude that it must be some sort of serial and part number in every board of printer; and from my point of view T1100, T1200, T1300 are 90% the same except the speed...)

If you buy original spare form HP, it will not have this sort of serial and part number information in it until you insert it in printer. Then on initialization it will take them from other boards, reboot and printer will work. Yes, after this the part will not work in any other printer except this one.

Again I am saying this from my personal experience. On the other hand I do not know is there a way to reset this information on used part to be used in another printer (like in your case formatter)."

Maybe you should ask your seller for some kind of support.

hriosm
Author
Level 3
42 24 2 0
Message 5 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for your help !!

Unfortunately, the seller was not able to provide support. 

Do you happen to know if you can convert a T770 HDD to just T770? Just not inserting the formatter or the formatter w/o HDD does not work.

Regards,

JackB44
Level 3
60 60 1 14
Message 6 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Well, formatter is like a PC and will not work without HDD, because HDD contains firmware and queues where prints will be processed. Unfortunately it is not a PC that you can run from USB instead of HDD 🙂

Since it is HP and Formatter, keep in mind that everything in printer is encrypted (regardless if it’s Designjet, Laserjet or PageWide). Security is big concern for the users and HP!

hriosm
Author
Level 3
42 24 2 0
Message 7 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

But there is a designjet T770 w/o HDD. Also, the designjet 800 without formatter, works like a 500. That´s why I was considering this possibility of working w/o HDD or w/o formatter.

JackB44
Level 3
60 60 1 14
Message 8 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I am sorry  but I doin't saw or meet T770 without HDD!?

On the other hand 500 and 800 are totaly different concept where all processing is done by computer. Even PostSrcipt versions used to have RIP software supplied with printer because these do not have formatter, so all job processing there is to be, is performed by PC instead of formatter (since there is no any).

If I remeber good there was only Designjet 800PS which had some kind of formatter - in printer processor, but this one also have had HDD.

hriosm
Author
Level 3
42 24 2 0
Message 9 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks JackB44 !!

Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation