Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Get help with Large Format Printers, with direct access to all Large Format Knowledge Center· Ask anything · Find anything · Share anything at HP LKC
HP Recommended
designjet 500 24"
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I have a designjet 500 24" it is old and I have replaced all sorts of parts on it. it still fires up and prints awesome. I have been using dye ink in it. Can I just start using pigment ink and let it work through? I realize that the color may mix and be weird for awhile as the pigment pushes through. then I will have to calibrate it when it is just pigment coming out.

Here is the thing? I don't know if the system can handle pigment ink. I read all the time that pigment ink can not be used in a dye ink system but the otherway around is ok. so do I have a pigment system that I have been using dye in or it is intended to be a pigment system?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

The black is pigment-based, the CMY are DYE.

I have seen in the past on BIJ2800 that used the same HP 11 printheads working just fine with quality pigment-based ink. 

My profile on LinkedIn

HP Recommended

Maybe the real question is: if It is a dye system and I install pigment ink, what damage will I do? what parts might have to be replaced?

HP Recommended

If something goes wrong, you will need to replace ink tubes that are coming from ink cartridges to the printheads, and printheads.

There is an option to wash the ink tubes from the old ink, but the printheads will probably need to be replaced. If any damage happens it will be to printheads, the rest of the printer is immune to dye or pigment-based ink.

My profile on LinkedIn

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.