Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Get help with Large Format Printers, with direct access to all Large Format Knowledge Center· Ask anything · Find anything · Share anything at HP LKC
HP Recommended
designjet 5500ps
Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)

thought I would post these photos to help someone who will attempt to replace the torn or broken "O" ring on the paper cutter , The size of the "O"ring is listed below

inside diameter = 9/16  inch

outside diameter = 3/4  inch

thickness = 3/32   inch

1 a.jpg2 a.jpg3 a.jpg4 a.jpg5 a.jpg6 a.jpg7 a.jpg8 a.jpg9 a.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I forgot to add some footnotes

1 be very cautious of the sharp edge of the papercutter  blade !!

2 Use eye goggles to protect eyes from spring that will fly out !!

place paper cutter inside a towel to catch spring  as you remove the 4 screws 

the #8 torix screwdriver will both fit  the single screw that mounts the cutter to the carrage as

well as the 4 screws that hold the cutter together

And last TAKE PHOTOS of the cutter BEFORE you disassemble the cutter so you can referr back to them .

another suggestion is to place a sheet of paper under the carrage before you remove the screw/washer that holds the

cutter to the carrage. This will catch the small screw / washer and prevent them from falling down in the cracks . Gently slide the paper to your left as you face the machine and the screw / washer will stay on the paper .

when installing the mounting screw back place the paper back under the carrage in case you drop the screw / washer

use tweezers to handle the screw / washer

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

This is a great post about an easy repair.  Did one a couple years ago on a 5500 model that cost me all of $.89!  Compared to the almost $90 price tag of a refurbished one on Ebay, it's quite a bargain if you can do it yourself.  Just take care when disassembling because that spring wants to fly when taking the piece apart.

Tell tale sign is a rattling sound when the cutter is moving across the paper.  Means the O-ring is torn.

I don't work for HP....I just repair their printers.
HP Recommended

I forgot to add some footnotes

1 be very cautious of the sharp edge of the papercutter  blade !!

2 Use eye goggles to protect eyes from spring that will fly out !!

place paper cutter inside a towel to catch spring  as you remove the 4 screws 

the #8 torix screwdriver will both fit  the single screw that mounts the cutter to the carrage as

well as the 4 screws that hold the cutter together

And last TAKE PHOTOS of the cutter BEFORE you disassemble the cutter so you can referr back to them .

another suggestion is to place a sheet of paper under the carrage before you remove the screw/washer that holds the

cutter to the carrage. This will catch the small screw / washer and prevent them from falling down in the cracks . Gently slide the paper to your left as you face the machine and the screw / washer will stay on the paper .

when installing the mounting screw back place the paper back under the carrage in case you drop the screw / washer

use tweezers to handle the screw / washer

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.