Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Design Jet T520
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hello All,

I would be delighted to receive some help with my HP T520.  

I get the message:  "One or more cartridges appear to be damaged".  

I just replaced 'damaged' cartridge, and there was no improvement.  The machine has a brand new HP brand cartridge, and the printer still reads the new cartidge as damaged?

Any insights out there, you in the great all seeing hive mind of HP users?

Thanks in advance for any assistance provided.

Robert

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Yes!  I did resolve the problem.  

Not Firmware

Firmware was not an issue.  I did nothing with that.  

Not Cartridges

The cartridges themselves were fine, although the error codes declared otherwise.  

Solution

The print head itself is very easy to remove.  There is no procedure for this that I was able to find.  This said, the following approach was effective.  HP does NOT approve powering down the unit at the wall, and if there is a better way to handle this part of the procedure I would like to know what it is.  This said, the following worked well for me, and continues to work well.  The machine operates as it did when new.

1.   Open the cartridge drawer when the print head is all the way to the right.   This will cause the print head to transit slowly to the left.

2.  When the print head is in the approximate center of the printer, power down the whole printer, by shutting down power to the unit, at the level of the 'mains' or wall, by pulling the plug.  The print head is now accessible from both sides and the front.

3.  Locate a white lever on the right side of the print head, as you face the front of the printer.  This lever is about 5cm long. Carefully move this level towards you. This will release the whole print head including the cartridges, from any mechanical or electrical attachement to the printer.

4.  Carefully lift the print head, which is now free of any restraint, towards you and out of the unit.

5.  Prepare a kit of cleaning agents, includ an isopropyl alcohol wash down bottle, wipes and swabs, and a flat basin about 25cm x 25cm x 4cm.

6.  Remove all the cartridges.  And set aside.

7.  Look to see which transparent reservoirs in the print head do not have ink in them.  If you see one without ink, and the cartridge is good, clean the receptical for that ink on the print head with a flow of alcohol, and the corresponding spout of that cartridge with a clear stream of alcohol. 

8.  Carefully rinse away the surplus ink built up on the print head with alcohol.

9.   Lightly wipe the print head nozzles with alcohol using a wipe approved for use on optics, e.g. very low lint.

10. Wipe all electrical contact.

11. Reassemble.

12. Power up.

13. Do a clean boot up of the system software, from internal memory.  This will cause the machine to forget the error code

14. Re initialize the machine, and re-establish blue tooth links.

15. Print a test sheet, which will cause the print heads to re-align.

16. Go back to work.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi,

I would recommend to check on the firmware version to make sure you the unit is running the latest one. Update if applicable.

It is very important to make sure which is cartridge being rejected by the unit. To make sure which is the one, you can access the web interface of the unit by typping the printer's IP address on the computer's browser

If the issue persists, you can also try a hard reset from the support menu. You can access the support menu from the Home screen / touch back icon 4 times / Support menu  / Resets / Hard reset

If the issue persists, you will need to contact HP Support for assistance, reason why is because problably the Printhead kit with the all cartridges will be needed for replacement and based on the fact that the unit has been used for a couple of months, these consumables should be under warranty.

Regards,

Chris Estrada

HP Recommended

Thanks for this.  The cartridge being rejected is the black one.  The error board identifies that very plainly.  

I will start on the firmware up dates.

HP Recommended
Hi,

That type problem raise from Print heads, if this printer has covered under warranty you should call to HP support guys or you may contact HP Service partner or HP service Center.

If it is not covered under warranty please replace the new print head. After that that problem will solved it easily.

You may collect this Print head from HP service centre or HP service partner.

Print head part no: C1Q10A

Some time Print head failure at a new printer, that type Print heads warranty coverage in two types Usage and purchase date (1 year) and will expired on which one come first time.

Regards
Rashed
Regards/Rashed
https://www.linkedin.com/in/rasheddul
HP Recommended

Hi,

Did you get the problem resolved?

Best regards

Mike G

I'm an HP Inc employee. But my response is not in behalf of HP Inc
HP Recommended

Yes!  I did resolve the problem.  

Not Firmware

Firmware was not an issue.  I did nothing with that.  

Not Cartridges

The cartridges themselves were fine, although the error codes declared otherwise.  

Solution

The print head itself is very easy to remove.  There is no procedure for this that I was able to find.  This said, the following approach was effective.  HP does NOT approve powering down the unit at the wall, and if there is a better way to handle this part of the procedure I would like to know what it is.  This said, the following worked well for me, and continues to work well.  The machine operates as it did when new.

1.   Open the cartridge drawer when the print head is all the way to the right.   This will cause the print head to transit slowly to the left.

2.  When the print head is in the approximate center of the printer, power down the whole printer, by shutting down power to the unit, at the level of the 'mains' or wall, by pulling the plug.  The print head is now accessible from both sides and the front.

3.  Locate a white lever on the right side of the print head, as you face the front of the printer.  This lever is about 5cm long. Carefully move this level towards you. This will release the whole print head including the cartridges, from any mechanical or electrical attachement to the printer.

4.  Carefully lift the print head, which is now free of any restraint, towards you and out of the unit.

5.  Prepare a kit of cleaning agents, includ an isopropyl alcohol wash down bottle, wipes and swabs, and a flat basin about 25cm x 25cm x 4cm.

6.  Remove all the cartridges.  And set aside.

7.  Look to see which transparent reservoirs in the print head do not have ink in them.  If you see one without ink, and the cartridge is good, clean the receptical for that ink on the print head with a flow of alcohol, and the corresponding spout of that cartridge with a clear stream of alcohol. 

8.  Carefully rinse away the surplus ink built up on the print head with alcohol.

9.   Lightly wipe the print head nozzles with alcohol using a wipe approved for use on optics, e.g. very low lint.

10. Wipe all electrical contact.

11. Reassemble.

12. Power up.

13. Do a clean boot up of the system software, from internal memory.  This will cause the machine to forget the error code

14. Re initialize the machine, and re-establish blue tooth links.

15. Print a test sheet, which will cause the print heads to re-align.

16. Go back to work.

HP Recommended

I just had the same problem, the new cartridge did not solve the problem, I just used wet wipes and alcohol to clean the ink leakage inside the printer and the printheads... Also I did reset the printer but didn't forget the error.  I recleaned again and again, it took me several hours, till the error message diasppeared and made maintenance & cleaining printheads... Alhamdulillah it working normally now.

Thank you very much, your experience helped me a lot 🙂

HP Recommended

Hi,

Ive got the same problem, I have changed the printhead, installed new ink but still get error message either - install new print head - not enough ink to complete setup - 

How do I do a re-boot as I turn the printer off and restart and it just boots up onto the error page so I cannot get the 'back' icon up to press 4 times.

HP Recommended

i cant enter into the support menu. none of the menu buttons are enabled. only it shows the error that "one or more cartridges appear to be damage" "remove them and replace with the new cartridge". I have changed a new head with new pair of cartridges too but the result still the same. No improvement. Help me to get solved.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.