Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Get help with Large Format Printers, with direct access to all Large Format Knowledge Center· Ask anything · Find anything · Share anything at HP LKC
HP Recommended
t1100

I have a T1100 printer that was unintentionally placed on its side in transport and black ink ran out the far right rear panel.  I have not plugged it in yet to test it but is there anything in there it could have damaged as it seems to still leak a little after having sat up right for a couple of months

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

When you say it was "placed on its side" was it sitting on the end the tall way or rolled over on it's back/front?  And is the ink leaking on the same side where the ink cartridges are located or on the opposite side?  (Left and right are determined as you are standing in front of the printer.  Just want to be sure we're looking at the correct problem.)  Just curious;  how long was it stored/transported in this position?

Here's a link to the service manual that will guide you on how to remove the end cover(s):

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1083/1086/files/T1100-T610-service_manual.pdf?5546573639607061404

You'll need a set of torx screw drivers to do it.

LPS can also help you with replacement parts.  No affiliation, just a satisfied customer.

You were right not to plug it in yet.  You'll want to remove the right cover and see where all the ink landed inside and clean it up best you can.  And probably want to check the tubes leading to the carriage to see if there's any air pockets showing.  These systems are pretty well sealed unless the ink cartridge got jostled loose just enough to leak.  You can use a product  like Windex or something to clean the ink as it's water soluble and comes off easy.  Might want some vinyl gloves though as it will tend to get messy.

Maybe post some pictures when you get it opened up so we can see where all the ink landed and might have intruded on some of the electronics.  Dried ink isn't as much a problem as damp or wet ink but cleaning it up will only be a good thing, as long as you don't damage anything in the process.

Let us know how it comes out.

I don't work for HP....I just repair their printers.
HP Recommended

we had a client that went through this. Probably the waste ink from the service station is what you are dealing with.  Luckily,  the right side of the printer has minimal electronics in it and no major boards. The first post gives you good advice. Honestly,  plain water works as well as any chemical for cleaning ink.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

Dang!  Waste ink...never thought of that!  That would explain why it was coming from that side of the printer.  Yes, not much for electronics on that side but I would look hard at the service station where the carriage parks.  Maybe remove it and rinse it thoroughly?

I'd like to see pictures of this.  Just to satisfy my curiosity of what happens when you tip one of these on end.

I don't work for HP....I just repair their printers.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.